3rd Cat Woes

Orglethorp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 3 cats and a baby. We never intended to have 3 cats, but it happened. When cat #2 got out and was missing for quite some time we adopted a kitten, then #2 returned the next morning.

Fast forward to now. Cat #1, Billy, is a well behaved, laid back 7 year old. He chews plastic if we leave it out and poops in front of the litter box if it's not clean to his standards, but other than that he's a good cat.

Cat #2, Camo, is a rescue that grew up outdoors but has finally adjusted to indoor life. She's 2-3 years old. She's super affectionate and just an absolute joy to have around. If she's ever caught doing something she knows she shouldn't, cat #3 started it.

Oh, cat #3. *sigh* Pebbles is 9 months old and a giant pain in our rears. She's stunningly beautiful, luxuriously soft, has a wonderful purr, looks a lot like my favorite childhood cat, and satisfies Camo's need to mother something. And that's where I stop listing her good points, because there aren't any others. She doesn't mind being squirted with water until she's dripping, so it's difficult to discourage her from anything. She climbs, scratches, chews, and squeezes into everything. Deterrents that are supposed to taste, smell, feel (under paws) or smell unpleasant to cats don't work. She also doesn't come for cuddles, and makes every effort to get away if you go to her for petting/cuddles, yet she'll sleep pretzel tangled around Camo. She encourages Camo to do things she otherwise wouldn't, like removing ornaments from the Christmas tree just for the sake of it. She's driven a wedge between Camo and Billy. Billy has no patience for her.

It's quite difficult to react in time/effectively to work with this cat when I've got a baby in my arms, which is most of the time that my husband is at work.

My husband wants Pebbles gone. Half the time I do too, but then I think maybe she'll be more manageable in a couple months and then the thought of giving up too soon makes me change my mind. I'm also worried that Camo will regress in her indoor adjustment progress if "her baby" disappears.

Help?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittenhood is a pain and your Pebbles is right in the middle of it. She may be a whirlwind now but she will most certainly slow down within the next six months or so, and might surprise you by becoming a wonderful cat. And since she gives Camo such comfort most certainly Camo would miss her. Please hang in there.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, your "problem child" is about the equivalent of an 11 year old human child right now! And OH, that's a busy, busy time! susanm9006 susanm9006 is exactly right. She will slow down a lot in the fairly near future, although it won't seem so near to you! Hang in there! They grow up. Most of them.