3 Week Old Kittens

Megan_101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who has recently had 2 kittens, today makes the kittens 3 weeks old. I also have 2 other cats, one is 2 & the other is almost year. When would be a good time to introduce the cats to the new kittens? I have kept the cats separate from the mom & her babies?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your other cats spayed and neutered? Allowed outside? Vaccinated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megan_101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are your other cats spayed and neutered? Allowed outside? Vaccinated?
I have one male who is getting fixed Friday & the female that is not fixed that I don’t plan on getting fixed. I don’t allow my cats outside. I’ve allowed the other cats I have to see the kittens with the mom present, they didn’t really care too much & neither did the queen.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason that you don't want to spay your females? It is a lot better for their health for them to be spayed! Also be sure to keep them away from your male for a few weeks, he will still be fertile a month after his surgery.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying is really important for her health. Unspayed cats are at risk for pyometria, an infection of the uterus, with each heat. She is also at increased risk for reproductive cancer with each heat. You may also find that it's impossible to keep her in, and that she is uncomfortable.

Please reconsider, and let us know if we can address any specific concerns.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would wait for introductions until the kittens are 6-8 weeks old and eating food on their own. They are too young now.

Also, be sure to supervise them around your other cats in the beginning.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep them separate especially since the male is fertile. Mother cats can be especially aggressive towards fertile male cats no matter how good of friends they normally are. And she can get pregnant while she still has kittens. When they are weaned, moms hormones will decrease and she won’t be as protective. Introduce them then.

And please get those kittens spayed and neutered as well as get the two females spayed. It’s better for their health. I’m sure you can find a low cost spay and neuter clinic nearby!