3 week old kitten weighs only 6.75 ounces

Jaemariethelez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 week old kitten that the mother won’t take care of. She literally threw him out the box. I’ve taken him and started to feed kmr and stimulating him before and after each feeding but he won’t go poop. I’ve had him for two days and nothing. I’ve tried mixing his milk 3 to 1 and it hasn’t helped. I don’t think he has worms or anything. The mom is complete indoor cat and up to date on shots can the kittie have worms if he never been outside before?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose it's possible he could have gotten worms from mom, but it's rather unlikely. There won't be much stool, if any, since he's on a liquid diet. Are you weighing him? Ideally, he should gain 10+ grams daily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaemariethelez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he weighed 6.75 oz Friday morning and Friday evening he weighed 6.40 😭I don’t know why he is losing weight. Just two day before on Wednesday he was 7.15 oz

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not good. Kittens can go downhill very fast. Please take him to a veterinarian.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much and how often are you feeding? He needs a total of 56mLs of formula each 24 hours right now (or more if he wants it) and should be fed every 3-4 hours at 6-8mLs per feeding, more as he grows. You must feed through the night as well.

I suspect he is not pooping because he is not getting enough food, and his system is adjusting to formula rather than mom’s milk.

It’s not unusual for a kitten on formula to get constipated. Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding and he should begin pooping eventually. Do NOT dilute his formula. He needs the nutrition!

Once he’s getting enough food he will begin to gain weight. Worms should not be an issue at present.

Get his mom spayed right away so she does not get pregnant again.

Do keep us posted! Jaemariethelez Jaemariethelez