3 Week Old Kitten Unresponsive But Breathing Normally

Sayko89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I came across this site while searching answers for my kitten.

She's a 3-week old kitten, her mum was eaten by a wild stray dog when she was a week old and I have been hand raising her since. She was a very active kitten and would drink up to 20cc of milk per feeding.

My concern is, these past few days, she's been having diarrhea and was feeding less. Getting her to drink 10cc of milk would take at least 1 hour. I took her to the vet today and the doctor gave some prebiotic, antibiotics and multivitamin to help her gain her appetite and adviced to give her plenty of water to avoid dehydration.

After the trip to the vet, she seems okay, she became more active and responsive. I did everything that the vet told me to, and she managed to drink 15cc of milk. But a few hours ago, suddenly her body became very warm. I suspected her of having a fever and thinking she might overheat, i reduced the temperature of the water in her hot water bag. (I don't have a heating pad and this was the best I have to provide warmth). Now when I check on her again, she became very limp. I've already replaced the water in the bottle to the usual temperature and tried to put some sugary water to her gums, but her mouth is closed shut. It's 5am in the place I'm living at the moment, so I can't rush to the vet. The nearest 24-hours pet hospital is 45 minutes drive away. What can I do to help her?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sayko89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
She's opening her eyes now when I call her and moves a little bit now and then to change positions. She's still shutting her mouth tight and all I'm doing is rubbing sugar water on her gums. And also, her temperature spiked back up. I don't have any kind of thermometer with me, so I can't really get her temperature reading. But she is warm to touch.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she still diarrhea? If so she needs pedialyte or salt solution.

Make it water some honey or white caro syrup and some salt.

So you barely feel the tastes.

Smear lips and gum with water+honey as above. Here be sweeter than in pedialyte.
Sayko89 Sayko89