3 Week Old Bengal Kitty Losing Weight Won't Eat

Alonnah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is the only kitten. His littermate died on day 2. He is 27 days old now
He was slowly gaining but in the past 3 days he has gone from 233g to 214g even though I am hand feeding him with eye dropper. He fights me, and does not want to eat. I can barely get a 10ml eye dropper of kmr in him. Mama tends to him and cleans him very well.
Any suggestions? I bought some low sodium chicken broth I was thinking about adding some of that in his eye dropper.
My vet is gone till Wednesday.
Am I just prolonging his pain and suffering?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sure some of our experts Will answer you soon, meanwhile, I Will be checking our articles yo ser if I can find anything that can help you.
We are all with you, keep fighting for that kitty!

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert but I have a couple kittens and both had round worm one was worse than the other and both of them weren't eating hardly and lost a lot of weight. They also had a bacterial infection and I started them on albon and panacur and within days they were gaining again. Does he have diarrhea or any vomiting?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you get into him 10 ml at one sitting, its not bad. Just do it more often, and together it should be enough.

If we presume he gets little or nothing from momma, he needs about 60 ml kmr or goats milk every day. Increasing as he adds.
A needleless syringe is easier than a dropper.
Another tricks which works for some is to use a little sponge, for example such used in make up. Kitten suckles and you are ready with the dropper and drop on more. The drawback here is you arent sure how much fluid he gets, so you must weigh him every day, perhaps even every 12 hours.

Can you get raw goats milk? sometimes it may make a difference.
Glucose sugar mentioned earlier is useful in many situations with weak kittens. If yo cant get glucose sugar / dextrose proper, use honey or white caro syrup. Both contains much glucose sugar.

Raw egg yolk blended in gives much extra energy...

Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A Alonnah

You need to see a different vet since yours is out of town. It sounds like your kitten needs meds.

Anytime a kitten loses weight and refuses to eat it is in a danger zone.

Please call another vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alonnah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have him on clindamycin 0.1 ml every 12hours. I have called around and can't find a vet open today but I'm still looking
He's very weak. I did get 20ml in him about half hour ago. Not fighting me anymore which alarms me even more