3 month old Kitten won't drink or potty, please help

Sugardroid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I adopted a 3 month old kitten and she was spayed either yesterday or the day before. She has not gone to the bathroom neither #1 or #2 and I fear she is not drinking much water. she eats fine, though. We have to put a cone on her because she licks at her incision wound so we cannot take it off. I'm afraid she won't drink with the cone on, yet when I take it off to see if she will drink she still doesn't drink. I'm worried because I have not seen her pee since I've adopted her which was yesterday. Is this normal? She is hyper as well but only wants to sleep when the cone is on. when the cone is off she's meowing constantly and won't stop and is trying to get out of the enclosed space we have her in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs to adjust to her new home. If she is eating wet food she is getting moisture and will pee eventually.

I did not make my kittens wear a cone. They licked their incisions but had dissolving stitches so everything was fine. At her tender age she needs to get out and explore rather than be confined.

I suggest you take the cone off and let her out to play and sleep with you. She should be fine. They heal very quickly at 3 months old. Just keep an eye on her! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sugardroid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She needs to adjust to her new home. If she is eating wet food she is getting moisture and will pee eventually.

I did not make my kittens wear a cone. They licked their incisions but had dissolving stitches so everything was fine. At her tender age she needs to get out and explore rather than be confined.

I suggest you take the cone off and let her out to play and sleep with you. She should be fine. They heal very quickly at 3 months old. Just keep an eye on her! :)
Thank you for replying! It also seems like she breathes very fast when she purrs I'm not sure if that's normal? and she purrs a lot.

The reason we put a cone on her is because our vet said to make sure she is not licking the wound because her skin has been glued together and they said that her saliva will definitely cause the glue to come undone. She won't leave the wound alone so I don't want to take a chance of her infecting the wound. Everywhere I've read about spayed animals is to keep them confined so they won't tear the wound :c so I'm keeping her in a cat playpen.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, I understand your concern and my 4 mth old kitten just got spayed. But we had her for 2 mths before getting her fixed. She would not wear that cone! We gave up after an hour because she was miserable. Tomorrow is a week and she licks her “wound” but it looks great. Your kitten needs your attention and affection. Also, food and water. Really, she’ll be fine. You want her to have a good 1st impression of you; that’s priceless...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten is purring so much to soothe her anxiety. She’s just had a surgery and is in a new environment.

Spend as much time as you can holding and comforting her until she’s healed and can live outside the crate and without the cone.