3 mo old with liquid diarrhea and slime?

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted this cutie about two weeks ago now, when she came to me she had normal poops, however I believe a much too fast diet change messed her up as she quickly started getting diarrhea. It got better for a little, but after a long day traveling for her sisters vet visit, it started up again and since yesterday it's gotten more and more liquid accompanied by slime.

Hey activity level is the same, however it's really hot, so it's not as consistent during the middle of the day. She's eating, but does seem a little extra picky.

I've already been treating her for diarrhea by giving her fotiflora, pumpkin and periodically a product called bounce back for electrolytes. However it has dextrose and blue 1 in it, so I'm not 100% comfortable using it all the time. Another worry of mine is perhaps I'm over treating her and it's causing the upset....

Pictures of the baby herself, Kaiya

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm not a vet, but ask yours - sometimes veterinarians prescribe boiled unseasoned chicken and sometimes with a little added boiled unseasoned white rice to help settle her stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm not a vet, but ask yours - sometimes veterinarians prescribe boiled unseasoned chicken and sometimes with a little added boiled unseasoned white rice to help settle her stomach.
Thank you very much! That's my next plan, she's getting a vet visit tomorrow morning when the vet opens in case.

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! That's my next plan, she's getting a vet visit tomorrow morning when the vet opens in case.
I do want to mention she has an adoptive sister that hasn't shown any similar signs.

FurryMonsters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for you to put her back on the food that she was eating before you adopted her? As you said yourself, the diet change could be the cause.
You don't have any house plants that she could have munched on, do you?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Be very careful with your pumpkin…too much, you get the opposite effect. Also see if you can find out if your kitty is allergic to any proteins. The problem is, if you try too many different things before their tummy has had time to adjust to it, it makes it hard to find out what works and what doesn’t. You might take notes so you don’t get befuddled. There is also pumpkin powder, which I have not tried. Please let me know if you find something that works!

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be very careful with your pumpkin…too much, you get the opposite effect. Also see if you can find out if your kitty is allergic to any proteins. The problem is, if you try too many different things before their tummy has had time to adjust to it, it makes it hard to find out what works and what doesn’t. You might take notes so you don’t get befuddled. There is also pumpkin powder, which I have not tried. Please let me know if you find something that works!
I just read that recently too, so I'm going to stop entirely.

I think I'll do the note thing, they are getting two different proteins a day. So it'd be good to see.

But I shall!

Is it possible for you to put her back on the food that she was eating before you adopted her? As you said yourself, the diet change could be the cause.
You don't have any house plants that she could have munched on, do you?
I definitely could, I'm just scared to change diets again and make it worse?

And I do have a Tradescantia near the kitten area, but she's not showing any symptoms besides diarrhea.

At any rate, I gave her some rice and chicken for dinner which she gobbled completely. Still waiting on another bowl movement to check as she hasn't pooped since I posted this originally.

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FurryMonsters FurryMonsters
Sorry! I forgot to add that the plant isn't missing anything/hasn't been bitten. I also don't really let her hang around it too much, but it's definitely going higher up now.

FurryMonsters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FurryMonsters FurryMonsters
Sorry! I forgot to add that the plant isn't missing anything/hasn't been bitten. I also don't really let her hang around it too much, but it's definitely going higher up now.
Good idea, tradescantias are mildly toxic to cats, so could cause irritation (and young cats love chewing on things).

FurryMonsters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think if she's used to a certain food and was doing well on it, it would not hurt to go back to it. She hasn't been off it for a long time, and it's only a sudden change to a food that a cat is not used to that causes problems.
I think the chicken with a bit of rice is not a bad idea, just don't overdo the rice, as it's not a good source of nutrition for them (as I'm sure you know).

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update on Kaiya, still battling on and off diarrhea, thankfully not like it was, but after a vet visit with no results from a check and poo test as well as the rice and chicken and a slow reintroduction of her new food without much change, she seems to have what I'm thinking is dehydration related issues based on the fact she passed a hard stool not too long after the post and continues to have intermittent hard poops followed by diarrhea now.

She's still growing, active and has been eating this whole duration, but I've suspected this is mild constipation issue due to dehydration. It's been rough keeping all of the cats (all 3 of my inside ones and feral colony on this property) cool here in the 110 days our desert gets, so I'm quite positive on this being the cause as everyone is struggling.

I'm treating her with FotiFlora, Naturvet pet electrolyte solution and occasional clearlax. The electrolytes are a better version than the one I had before, which contained blue dye and dextrose, something that I was worried about messing with her tummy more. This one has minimal zinc, which I've been nervous to give, but after some research found some great info on zinc in electrolyte solutions, here's the link for anyone curious - Pedialyte, is it safe for kittens?