3-4weeks Old Orphan Kitten

neff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, 5 days ago I got a kitten.. It was e weeks old and the lady told me that her mother left her..
Now she is 4 weeks old.. for 3 days I am trying litter training but it doesn't work.. and she is barely grooming herself, so she is messy.. She smells peeeeee I need some recomendations because I don't wanna get risk to bath her..
20170410_212240.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 4 weeks old she is not yet ready to litter train. Kittens are more ready at 5 or even 6 weeks old.

You can take a warm, damp wash cloth and wipe her down daily rather than bathe her. The cloth will feel more like a mama cat licking her.

What is she eating?

She sure is pretty! :lovecat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bottle feeding with formula (petAg). This is my first time with so young kitten.. Thank you for the information
IMG_9876.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try to slowly introduce with wet food, may be children food. Gerber produces some nice such, there are surely others too. Minced meat is often used in Sweden. - (NOT port / swine). Goats milk may be an alternative to kmr, if you want to try with something new.

IF you really need to bathe her, be sure she doesnt gets chilled. No draught, warm water, ie slightly above body temp, dry off afterwards, and have a heating pad too...

But for now, a damped cloths should be enough as said above.

The kitten already a prettie, I hope you will show her later on in a couple of months more.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man, the three I have must be advanced. Not quite a month (born approx 3/20) and they are already eating solid food (supplemented with formula) and using the litter box. If mine get poopy butt, then I do give them a butt-bath using baby wash. Just a dab in warm (not hot) water. It is very important to make sure you dry her thoroughly using a dry towel. If she gets cold, she can get a URI. I have never heard of PetAg formula. I do know they make bottles. My preferred method is 1 part KMR to 3 parts goats milk, warmed. Are you still having to stimulate her to make her go pee/poop? At 4 weeks you shouldn't need to, but, you may have to. Put down a heating pad wrapped in a towel on low heat. This will help keep her warm. Also, if you have a big stuffed animal, put it in with her also. This way she won't feel so alone.

neff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my 4 weeks old kitten pees everywhere.. When she is in her box, she generally uses her litter box already.. She is not covering them up, but she pees on the litter..Bu she doesn't want to stay in her box anymore.. Should I give her small punishments, after she pees somewhere.. I can put her into box even she doesn't want to stay there?? And also we have another issue her belly is fat, but she doesn't poop.. For now she popped just one day(it was her first poop) and then she never popped.. Her first poop was on Friday night now it I'd Monday morning!! I am anxious!! She was sleeping on my lap ,and she was playing with me,
20170411_014136.jpg
but now she wants to be free.. Her behavior changed!! Or she is just growing up! I am sad, because I want her to be clean, nice, lovely :(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens have tiny bladders and often need to pee. If the litter box is too far away or too hard to get into, shes just going to where she is. You should add another litter box or two. If the boxes are too high to climb into, add something like a small stack of books to act as a step. Never punish a kitten for bad behavior with a spray bottle of water or physical punishment or anything. It only teaches your kitten to be afraid of you. Kittens just don't know any better and have to be taught good behavior.

Cats and Discipline Don't Mix
The Dos and Don'ts of Cat Behavior Modification
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

Kitten ofter have fat tummies because of worms. You need to take your kitten to a vet and start a deworming treatment and get a basic check up and vaccinations when she is old enough. If she doesn't poop for another day, I'd bring her to a vet to make sure she isn't constipated or have other issues.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's four weeks old and already away from her mother, or do you have the mother there too? Usually momma cat teaches the little ones to use the cat box and cleans up after them when they don't.

If she's removed from her mother that young, then I would put a lot more boxes around as LTS3 suggests, plus call the vet for the worming treatment.

No punishment. Little kittens don't know anything but what comes naturally to them. She isn't doing anything bad on purpose.

neff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.. I am going to be more patient.. She will learn eventually, right? Thank you for your ideas & support!!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put her in a kitten-safe playpen or make something similar? Give her enough room to run and play, and enough room for the litter box. Also, if the litter box is too big for her, buy a cheap cake pan(9-13"). Stainless steel, easy to clean.
And make sure you use only clay litter for her as she will eat some.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have access to a good vet? She will need deworming, vaccines, and to be spayed.

And is she confined to a small kitten-proof area? A room or a playpen? She is much too small to have free run of the house. Make absolutely sure that she stays 100% inside.

You are right that you will need to be patient. She has a lot of growing up to do.

neff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my kitten has just turned 5 weeks old.. 1. She has 2 litters just in case! She is using one litter just for her poop and the other one for peeing..
2. She is not covering her pre or poop !
Are these normal?
20170423_174702.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's too young yet. She will learn as she matures. At least she is using the litter box! :)

neff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Is there any specific way to predict your kitten's future eye color.. My 5 weeks old kitten had blue eyes, but now it has gray and green and blue.. I am curious which one is going to be her real eye color.. gray, green (hazel) or blue(not a chance,I know) .
I attached 2 pics of her current eyes lol..
20170425_130457.jpg

neff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is another pic.
20170425_130646.jpg

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They may change to a brighter yellow/green or bluish green. There is really no way of telling though. Cutie though!