2day old kittens sometimes gasp for air or?

gsgirlprettynpink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My young cat had 7 kittens 2 days ago not sure if she has enough milk she's kinda small herself, , I noticed today (2 days old) 2 of them sometimes open their mouths like their gasping for air or looks like maybe they're dehydrated? Not sure , what do I do? Please help

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the mamma cat can't produce enough milk or isn't feeding the kittens enough, you should get some Kitten Milk Replacement. (KMR)

It's basically like a powdered baby formula made just for kittens. You can find it at your pet supplies store and, maybe, in the pet section of your grocery store.

Don't use regular cow's milk. It's not good for kittens. If you can't get KMR, whole goat's milk will do in a pinch.

Kittens should eat from their mother as much as possible. If you have to gently take a kitten to its mother and put it on the nipple, that's okay as long as the mother doesn't fuss.

If the kittens aren't eating by themselves, you have a problem that needs a vet's attention right away.

If the kittens are making their way to their mother and finding a nipple then eating by themselves, you should be okay.

Still, if you've got a litter of new kittens you should have your vet's number on speed dial.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreed! You may need to supplement some or all of the kittens by hand. Buy a can of powdered kitten formula from your vet, a pet store, or Walmart. PetAg or Royal Canin are good. Get a small 1 or 2mL syringe from a pharmacy.

What are the kittens’ weights? You should weigh daily in grams using a kitchen scale and keep track. Seven kittens is a lot. There will be runts. Always feed upright or on the tummy. Never on the back.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Keep us posted! gsgirlprettynpink gsgirlprettynpink

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gsgirlprettynpink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My young ma cat had 7 kittens two days ago she doesn't have much milk for all of them is there anything I can feed or give her that helps her produce more milk?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure she gets lots of kitten food, it is higher in calories and nutrition. As much as she can eat several times a day. Also offer kitten replacement milk or goat's milk if you can find it, (I saw it in the dairy section of Walmart) both are very good. She must drink fresh water several times a day too. Set several little bowls around.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please see my Post #3 about hand feeding these kittens. The more the kittens suckle the more milk will come in over the next few days. Runts need supplementing right away.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My young ma cat had 7 kittens two days ago she doesn't have much milk for all of them is there anything I can feed or give her that helps her produce more milk?
Agree with both both replies above. I want to mention again goats milk. Its always a good supplement for momma or halfgrown kittens, and if necessary; its OK as kmr.
Its cheaper than most kmr brands. And if the cat doesnt need everything, you can drink it yourself. As it is or in your coffee.