2 year old RagDoll not eating and being a total pain

dustylylac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

I have a 2 year old RagDoll named Ming whose basically gone on food strike for no apparent reason that I can see; I thought I would reach out to the cat experts this time since he's totally checked out at the vet. Blood tests and everything came back normal. He's pooping, peeing, playing etc... just not eating...

He used to be a little piggy! I noticed he was losing interest in his cat food about 6 weeks ago, so i changed it up. He woofed down the new food like Thank God, something new! I also changed their litter from pebbles to sand, and they've both been in and out of the litter ever since, they seem to love it. 

However, I travel a lot for work. Ming should be accustomed to it. I was gone for 3 weeks and came back to this super pissed off cat who will not eat. He walks up to his bowl, sniffs it and backs away; EVERY FREAK'N TIME. I even changed his food again, same thing. BUT, he'll eat his damn cheeseburger favored treats and Whiskers, which I honestly give to them super rarely because I think it's junk food. But I did want to test if it's fussiness or stomach issues. He gobbled down 5 treats, walked over to his 3 food bowls and pretended to cover them, walked off into his tree and glared at me for the rest of the night. 

He's been extremely clingy with my husband and freaks out when he walks through the door and ignores me all day (I work from home). 

So the vet gave him some medicine to stimulate his appetite. Suddenly he wants to cuddle and be friends, like over the top out of no where and I can't work, meowing at me and clawing etc... then jumps down, sniffs his food, walks away... finally sometimes he makes himself eat, and powers through the bowl if I'm lucky. And because we're leaving food out now, my other cat is turning into a bowling ball. 

What is going on...? He's being such a little pain. 

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
What was he fed while you were away?  Because now that you're back what you're feeding him just isn't good enough.

It's amazing how long a cat can hold out... just eating enough to keep going.. to get the food they want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustylylac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh man really? My husband was feeding him his usual while I was gone. He said Ming stopped eating basically the day I returned and has been difficult ever since. He wasn't like this my last 2 trips, which were longer. 

He's sitting in the tree flaring at me as we speak. 

Thevikingchick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Dàin, 2.5 ragdoll, can be a snot about food sometimes. He'll go after wet food so I don't worry too much, but he gets weird about dry food and I have no idea why. My breeder said he's just being a sh*t and if he gets really bad to get instinct wet food, add some nutrical (high calorie supplement) make it really soupy with water and force feed him. We've never gotten to that point.
I hope Ming got more accustomed to his food.