2 week old kittens losing weight

CookieCat21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am currently taking care of a mama cat with 4 kittens. Yes, she will be spayed. They are two weeks and I have been taking their weights every day. I have read that they are supposed to gain 10-15 grams per day. They have been doing fine, their eyes are open now. Today one of the kittens didn’t gain anything and one kitten lost a little weight(only a couple grams). I noticed that the mom had some tapeworms, could this be the cause? And is there a safe wormer I can give her while the kitties are still nursing?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can deworm while she is nursing, but check with your vet to make sure the dewormer is safe for nursing moms. As to the kittens losing weight, I don't think that is the cause. Check her nipples and make sure she is producing milk. Whether she is producing of not, the kittens need more milk. You should start supplementing the kittens with either KMR or goats milk. If they continue to lose weight with the supplementing then reach out to you vet for more assistance as something might be wrong health wise.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, one days stop in weight increase doesnt need to mean anything; but you must be super watchful now; and get home some goats milk or a good kmr.
Kittens whom have momma, are usually reluctant to bottle. You will need to use a needleless syringe or a dropper.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A dewormer would be a good idea just make sure it's for pregnant cats. You may need to supplement that one kitten. If the little one loses weight tomorrow I would do syringe feeding just to help. Tiny kittens are very fragile, unfortunately, and losing weight isn't good.