2 Week Old Kitten Wont Poo! Help!

Brylee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had this kitten for 4 days and she hasn’t pooped once. She is about 2 weeks old, abandoned by her mother. She eats plenty but I think her stomach hurts her. She is still walking around but she is constantly whining. I tried vegetable oil but it only gave her hiccups. Anything else I can try? Please help quick!

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Take a warm wet rag and wipe it's bottom keep getting g it warm when cool not hot and keep wipeing gently until poops!!

That's how a mama cat gets them to potty till Bout 4 weeks old it's silly but they don't no how to do it there self's yet so you have to help it along. I hope this helps

I have had this kitten for 4 days and she hasn’t pooped once. She is about 2 weeks old, abandoned by her mother. She eats plenty but I think her stomach hurts her. She is still walking around but she is constantly whining. I tried vegetable oil but it only gave her hiccups. Anything else I can try? Please help quick!
I hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vegetable oil - preferably coldpressed olive, rapeseed or cocoa oil - is a common recommendation. a couple of drops at every meal. Works after a day perhaps.

I havent never heard of hick ups with this. How much were you giving her?

Minerale oils are even more potent, but the difficulty is to find one of food grade.

A try may be, if you have such a glycerine con as for humans, take a thin sliver out of it, and set in her behind. It should loosen the constipation.

The suggestion above about warm wet rag is good, of course. Try it both before feeding, and after. Instinctively we do after feeding, but for some it works better before.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has your kitten pooped following the genital stimulation with a warm, damp cloth?

How much and how often are you feeding the kitten? Which brand of formula are you using? Do you know how much the kitten weighs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brylee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is doing much better now. After 4 days she finally got one out! We just kept feeding her and rubbing her belly. She is a lot happier now. Thank you!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you tell us more about what you are feeding her, how much you are feeding her, and how you are stimulating her?

We'd love to see photos, too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is good news! You should continue to add oil to her formula.

Can you fill us in on how much and how often she eats? Which formula you use? How much she weighs?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These questions about formula are important - some brands are known to give problems more often than others.

So for example, PetAgs premade liquid KMR tends to give more problems than their powder edition. Although both are supposed to be exactly the same contents.

And again, this powder KMR is one of the very best brands of kmr, but still - for some individuals it may be better to try with some other brand...
Same story with goats milk. :)

Brylee Brylee

Brylee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply! I have been non stop going all day. I havent weighed her. Im using a powder formula at home just called Milk Replacer fro Essential Pet. I have to take her to school with me so while Iḿ there I use a premade milk replacer from a can. Im not sure what its called, my teacher is the one who lets me use it. She eats every 2-3 hours. On occasion she sleeps for 4-5 hours and she eats when she wakes up.
When Im stimulating her, I wet a rag and heat it in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds to where its just warm. Ill rub her belly for a bit and if noting happens Ill rub her genitals. She has been very good and constant with peeing and today she has pooped quite a bit. I hope I didnt leave anything out!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you weigh her?

How many mLs of formula does she eat at each feeding?

Brylee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shes asleep right now but next time she wakes up I sure will. I think around 10-15 ML. It varies so sometimes its less or more.