2 week old kitten sneezing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you sure those are sneezes and not hiccups?

The kitten looks like a healthy weight, but if it is sneezing like that it may be catching a cold. If the sneezing continues I suggest you get the kitten checked by a vet to make sure it’s nothing more serious. If it is sneezing, it may be an upper respiratory infection (URI) and need an antibiotic if the kitten is clogged up.

How long have you noticed this?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure those are sneezes and not hiccups?

The kitten looks like a healthy weight, but if it is sneezing like that it may be catching a cold. If the sneezing continues I suggest you get the kitten checked by a vet to make sure it’s nothing more serious. If it is sneezing, it may be an upper respiratory infection (URI) and need an antibiotic if the kitten is clogged up.

How long have you noticed this?
Its been 2 days, and yes those maybe are hiccups.... because i dont see any watery eyes or anything.....and even though they are 18 days old all of them can already walk properly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Two days is a long time for this. Does the kitten do this around the clock or just little bouts here and there?

Tridibesh Tridibesh

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s very good to hear! I hope it stays that way. 😊
EMERGENCY

The one that was sneezing is now completely cured but here is the other ones face that's what terrifying me.
IMG_20220226_110701.jpg
she's been sneezing too........but she's playful (biting the hell out of the other two)....... I tried damping a fresh Cotton cloth with warm water and touching that area very gently, i didn't dare to overdo it.
Is this something serious?
IMG_20220226_114301.jpg
so i brought them a little close to the sunlight......so they can stay a bit warm.

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely take the kitten to the vet's can't take chances with eye's. It sounds like they might have a cold. Keep doing what your doing with the warm water cloth until you can get a appointment with the vet. When my kitten got flu he had conjunctivitis and needed drops for his eyes. They are adorable hope the little one feels better soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s a cold, but the kitten may need terramycin antibacterial ointment for the eye, or oral antibiotics for a respiratory infection. Keep a close watch. I would not put them in the sun.

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s a cold, but the kitten may need terramycin antibacterial ointment for the eye, or oral antibiotics for a respiratory infection. Keep a close watch. I would not put them in the sun.
IMG_20220302_102305.jpg
i went to the vet and they prescribed something that i didn't dare to use ........so i came back here. I live in a rural area and there is only one animal doctor within 10 kilometres. The eye drop he prescribed is "Gatifloxacin and prednisolone acetate ophthalmic suspension Gatiquin-P" eye drop. I told him kite is sneezing, the doc say this could be virus that caused the eye infection.
Should i use the eye drop? Kitten is drinking mama's milk normally she's hungry and kind of playful (not like the other two tho).

I have been boiling plain water and when it's of the room temperature i washed off the cluster, i dont see any clustters any more.....but the white corner membrane is still covering half of the eye.
One another thing kite's temperature was normal.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happens often in kittens, very common. It is the feline herpes virus and is NOT transferrable to humans. The white membrane is the cat's third eyelid to protect the eye, you only see it when the cat is sick or has hurt its eye. My vet has given me Terramycin ointment which is the most common, (available on Amazon and pet sites too) and for squirmy kittens, I always applied it by putting some on my finger and wiping it across the closed eye. If the vet prescribed the eye drops it must be alright, but if it was me, I would maybe call another vet and see if it is alright. Just ask if you can use that brand on cats. The proper way to apply it (and drops) is to pull down on the lower eyelid until it makes a 'pouch' and apply a thin ribbon inside the pouch. This condition lasts about two weeks and since it is a virus antibiotic usually don't work at first. But the virus can turn into a secondary infection, especially in the eyes, so eyedrops/ointments are needed then or it can lead to blindness. Keep wiping the eye gently with a warm wet washcloth to remove any crusties. If they have difficulty breathing, make sure they sit for 30 minutes or so in a steamy bathroom after someone showers, or you run a humidifier near them. I'm concerned about the bugs too, make sure you check them and see if these bugs are actually living on the kittens, which can lower their immune system drastically. You might have to bathe them using Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove them, but make sure they are kept very warm and dried quickly. A covered heat pad on low or better yet a cat warming pad such as a K&H one would be welcome. Please keep us informed on how this is going.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would just keep the eye clear with a warm, damp wash cloth and see how it goes. No fever probably means viral and it should go away on its own. Hold onto the eye drops for later in case things change.,

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would just keep the eye clear with a warm, damp wash cloth and see how it goes. No fever probably means viral and it should go away on its own. Hold onto the eye drops for later in case things change.,
Okay, i will definitely do that.

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_20220303_211619.jpg
IMG_20220303_211636.jpg

The eye is wide open and i see no change of appetite. But the white area of the doesn't seem to be going away. Please tell me if he is healing.
IMG_20220303_212316.jpg

One other thing, his paws are a bit plae.... thought he might be thirsty, but he just licked the water two or three times that's all. I tried gently pulling the skin of his neck area and they quickly went back to the neutral position, might not be dehydration. And he was almost jumping to get out of the box and explore my house.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m not sure what is causing the white in his eye. I think the eye drops that you were prescribed are too strong. Can you ask your vet if he has an eye ointment instead?

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure what is causing the white in his eye. I think the eye drops that you were prescribed are too strong. Can you ask your vet if he has an eye ointment instead?
I didn't use the eye drop.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know you didn’t, but with that much white showing I do think your kitten needs eye medicine. Can you ask for an ointment?