2 Week Old Feral Kitten With Eye Discharge

NurseTammi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been feeding a feral cat on our porch and had no idea she was pregnant. We think she is pretty young herself. We came home yesterday and surprise to us she was under one of our cars with a kitten. The kitten came to me and I put it on my porch where we usually feed its Mom. We estimate about 2 weeks old. Mom is feeding her so all is ok there but I noticed this morning its eyes were closed shut with crusty discharge, they looked fine yesterday but did have some drainage. The pic of her eyes was yesterday. I used a warm moist cloth and was able to remove the discharge and she/he was able to open them again. Since there is no vet involved yet, is there an over the counter ointment I can use on its eyes?

Attachments

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, you need to bring mom and baby inside. It is not safe for the little one out in the open.
You can use Terramycin on her eyes. You should be able to buy this at any feed store or tractor supply.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Terramycin is a often used antibiotic ointment for such eye problems. As I know, its veterinary prescribed. Although some vets may be willing to prescribe over the telephone. Especielly if its your usual vet.

You could also try with removing the discharge either with lightly saline water (roughly as tears, perhaps a shade less), or a weak chamomille tea solution - this is soothing.

Momma is a lynx point (ie tabby + lynx), baby is probably a blue point - possibly lynx point too. Baby is around 3 weeks I think. Not four, but prob more than barely 2.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
erramycin is a often used antibiotic ointment for such eye problems. As I know, its veterinary prescribed. Although some vets may be willing to prescribe over the telephone. Especielly if its your usual vet.
It's not prescription in the U.S.. I have a tube in my fridge right now. Bought it at the feed store.
I don't know what country the OP is in however.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tx for the info, Feed stores and Tractor stores, OK, good to know.

In many countries they are quite a more liberal with selling even strong preparates without recipe.. In pharmacia or not. But in others they may be very strict yes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To be complete, I must say; if in any doubt, or the infections looks severe, go to your vet if at all possible. Eye infections arent nothing to play with, especielly if you arent knowleable and clearly recognize what its it and what to do about it.

If in any doubt at all, go to the vet. its a cheap insurance payment, even if it costs money.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be complete, I must say; if in any doubt, or the infections looks severe, go to your vet if at all possible. Eye infections arent nothing to play with, especielly if you arent knowleable and clearly recognize what its it and what to do about it.

If in any doubt at all, go to the vet. its a cheap insurance payment, even if it costs money.
Exactly this!