2 Very Pregnant Foster Mamas, Couple of Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I think my scale needed new batteries as it was throwing numbers that shouldn't be possible(like one of the big kittens gaining 30g overnight). I changed the batteries, reweighed last night and this morning.The numbers still aren't looking great for a few of the kittens. The smaller ones are stuck hoovering around the low 300gs with Lil Poof who just dropped to 296g. Lil Poof lost 4g from yesterday, so now she will be getting KMR every few hours. She doesn't seem to get the suckling thing quite yet, but she still eagerly lapped up/chewed 7ml out of the miracle nipple. Very Dark also lost a few grams overnight, but I only pushed her to have 2ml, as her weight had been fine until this morning. White Tip has been stagnating the last couple of days, but gained a couple g overnight, so again, gave her a couple ml. I'm hoping the last 2 will be more eager to try again in a couple hours. They're always a bit resilient at first. Miss Standard and Tiny Tip are also on watch, but gained a few grams overnight.

I don't see any other signs of anything being wrong with them, but I do worry about White Tip. She looks less plump, so definitely going to keep pushing with her. They all have been learning to walk the past couple days and starting to play, the smaller ones included. I did notice a few small mats on Elizabeth's stomach last night. I'm going try to find some slim scissors to trim that back today. The other thing I noticed, is that the kittens that are struggling are most likely all Elizabeth's. But the weird thing is, I see most of them on both moms. But it does seem the 2 chonks are on Ella near constantly and Dark Gray is frequently double dipping. Light Gray is also gaining very steady, she also sticks close to Ella. Those are the 4 I suspect of being Ella's based on photos of day 1(gray ones 100% are hers).

It's day 22/23, should I try to see if the bigger ones are interested in starting to wean in a couple days? Or is it best to wait til 28 days minimum? Striped Chonker is almost 400g and the Gold Boy is 450g.

With the kittens I need to supplment, do I just offer as much as they're willing to eat or do I push til their bellies feel mostly full?They must be getting something from their moms or they would have starved by now.

Sorry that was quite a lot for an update. Any insight on what is most likely causing this would be great.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While I'm still kind of wary of the scale, it does seem they're weighing much better than this morning. Lil Poof just weighed 312g. The way she was ravenous does give me the impression she at least needs the KMR. She had 7ml and 6ml this morning and when I checked in the afternoon she just fed off Elizabeth. Like she needs a little boost to get her appetite/fighting spirit back if she misses a meal. White Tip had a full belly just now as well. So maybe the rest are fine, but going to continue watching and offer KMR to any who have an empty belly and can't seem to latch onto a mom at the time.

Group photo from yesterday. As of now, I believe there are 4 long hairs. Also 8 girls and 1 boy seems to be the number.
kitten_group_4-17-24.jpg

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feed them until they turn away. Kittens do not wean at 3 weeks old. They start weaning between 5-8 weeks. They are adorable!

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep seeing 4 weeks old online, but I don't mind waiting to start at 5 weeks if it's better for them(and assuming Lil Poof doesn't chew the Miracle Nipple up, she has been trying). The kittens have started teething on cardboard and other kittens. I did see Gold Boy checking out his mama's food last night. Is it likely the bigger ones will be ready before the smaller ones? Or does size not necessarily dictate how developed they are? The smallest 4 are hoovering around 330g right now, while the 3 biggest are well into the 400s.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are ADORABLE. Please keep the pictures coming!

I wouldn't worry too much about weaning, unless you're fostering orphaned kittens. Introducing wet food too early may cause upset tummies. The kittens will learn from mom at their own pace; as Sarthur2 said, usually between 5-8 weeks.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 26/27, the kittens have begun stealing their moms' wet food. Lil Poof was the primary instigator. I didn't stop her, but should I limit how much she steals so her stomach doesn't get upset? Or go the opposite way and prepare a small amount of pate/kmr slurry for the kittens who are ready? Lil Poof is the smallest weighing at 351g just now. The smaller half of the litter are hoovering around 350-370g.

kitten_group_4-21-24.jpg

Dark Gray, Lil Poof, and Miss Standard.
kitten_gold_boy_4-21-24.jpg

Gold Boy
kitten_miss_standard_4-21-24.jpg

Miss Standard
kitten_tiny_tip_4-21-24.jpg

Tiny Tip
kitten_very_dark_4-21-24.jpg

Very Dark

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 32/33 I believe. All the kittens are doing well. Today I saw all 9 eating the milk/pate slurry. The somewhat small ones have been packing on the weight the last few days. The 2 runts(Lil Poof and Light Gray) have been slower, but should finally be over 400g today.

20240426_182319.jpg

I believe from left to right by faces:
White Tip, Light Gray, Lil Poof, Miss Standard and Dark Gray.