2-months Old Kitten Thrown Out Of Vehicle... Need Advice?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , thank goodness they rescued this kitten from the freeway. It looked tired and dehydrated and was resting and it got shocked when the lady picked him up!
She was so lucky she could grab him, wasn't she? You could tell by their voices how worried they were when they first saw him lying at the side of the road like that.

It's great he was rescued.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She was so lucky she could grab him, wasn't she? You could tell by their voices how worried they were when they first saw him lying at the side of the road like that.

It's great he was rescued.
Oh ya, I would be worried too! The kitten is barely visible and looks like a piece of small rock.
The lady looks like an old timer rescuing kittens, looking at the way she approach the kitten and grabbing her so quickly and carefully.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmartin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh ya, I would be worried too! The kitten is barely visible and looks like a piece of small rock.
The lady looks like an old timer rescuing kittens, looking at the way she approach the kitten and grabbing her so quickly and carefully.
That is just terrible what they did! This is almost exactly what happened with this kitten... except mine was thrown on a highway ramp about 100 feet above the ground! I am so thankful he didn't get thrown over!

dmartin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE ON THE KITTEN:

Hello everyone and thanks again for all your support, replies, and links! :) Everything has been very helpful in the little guy's recovery. The kitten has come a long way in just a few days!

I finally named him Niles, after the character Niles Crane from Frasier.

While Niles DOES still hiss at me when I approach him once I grab him he doesn't struggle or show any signs of distress ( body language wise he looks very calm ). In fact, today I sat with him on my couch and petted him for a couple of hours, and he even began purring very loudly and showed me his belly! This was paired with giving him some treats. While we were on the couch my other cats came by to investigate.

As it so happens, they are far more scared of him than he is of them. He talks to them but they run away as soon as they hear him or see him. I'm honestly very surprised by it, but thankfully they show no hostility towards Niles.

I will likely go through the forum and look for information on introducing older scardey-cats to kittens, but I would have no complaints if any of you wish to add anything to this thread.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job, and that he is recovering from his trauma and beginning to enjoy his new life.:) It's also good news that your other cats are not being hostile towards him. The integration of a new pet in a household always takes time, even under the most ideal of circumstances. Cats have to rework their social structure and territory to make room for the new cat. From my experience, it's much easier integrating a kitten into a household of other cats because kittens are more submissive and less threatening, and eager for acceptance. Keep doing what you're doing, and I bet that within a few more weeks at least one of your resident cats will befriend the kitten. What a wonderful life you are giving this little kitten, who would surely have died if left on the highway.

dmartin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SPECIAL THANKS:

I appreciate everyone on this thread for your advice and articles. Things have been going well for little Niles. Since my last update he has seen the doctor twice with one more round next month for his final booster.

He is so sweet and friendly. Energetic and playful! He loves cuddling and slowly but surely he and my other two cats are getting along better. Today was the first day I saw them chasing each other around for fun and they all sleep in the same bed without growling anymore. Soon I feel they will be best friends.

As you can see he is quite the comfortable boy now, and very well adjusted. I owe much thanks to everyone here for helping him out!

Much love!!