2 Month Old Kitten Not Eating After Enema

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorianH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I have a kitten who's about a week away from 2 months old. One of the semi-feral barn cats on my parents farm had a litter and we didn't find them until a week or so ago. (Mom's getting spayed asap).

One kitten, Waddles, has issues with his legs, and to make a long story short ended up with maggots in his bum. We took him to the vet who flushed him out, and gave him an enema (around 9:45am EST) and he's barely eaten 2ml of formula, or gotten up since. Its 1:45pm now and all he wants to do is sleep. The vet said there was minimal/no damage because we came as soon as we saw something.

Waddles is severely stunted and has a number of other issues so he's now being hand raised indoors. He weighs 9oz is it normal, or expected anyway, for him to not eat after such a traumatizing few hours? The vet recommended corn syrup to get his blood sugar up and it helped a little but he still doesn't want to eat. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

*As a note the vet said he'd be touch and go, so if there's nothing we can do except make him comfortable then I'd like to know.*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DorianH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As an added note. He's been sleeping most of the time. He's really not waking up, but his breathing and heart rate have been good. Our vet isn't sure what to do.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Forcefeeding for now.
Have added some karo or honey. Gives both quick energy and extra calories.

Can you get raw goats milk?

DorianH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We can't get goat's milk, just kmr. He's not awake, is it ok to force-feed him like that? I figure it's probably not good since he won't really wake up. Mom's given him a bit of honey a few times and he wakes up theb goes back to sleep

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes water with honey to smear on lips and gum is good.

If you manage him to swallow some its even better.
As much as you can.

This is no remedy living on honey water but it buys you some time.

IF he perks up proceed with kmr + a shade extra honey.

DorianH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's able to take 2mls of kmr every hour or so, and goes through phases. He'll be limp for awhile then perk up. I'll try honey and water on his gums. I almost think the stress of the day was too much for him. But I'm doing my best.

DorianH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's faded, and passed on...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You did an awesome job of trying your utmost best to help this baby.
Thanks to you he had care, warmth, food and love.
RIP sweetheart, you didn't have much time with us here. You have moved onwards, to a perfect body with all its grace and strength intact. :rbheart:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im deeply sorry. RIP Waddles.

I dont know what exactly happened. The crisis become visible after the enema, but it must have began earlier.
You yourself mention issues. He was also apparently much smallish.

Probably the maggots / enema was just the straw which broke the mules backbone, as they say.

You fought on, you couldnt do more. Thus, his soul is contend, and may rest in peace.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Very sad news about Waddles. We'll close the thread now out of respect for your loss. If you'd like to post a tribute to your little boy, we invite you to do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

NOTE: Waddles' tribute thread is here: Waddles

Status
Not open for further replies.