2 month old kitten gagging? (Audio linked)

ayla333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I just got my 2 month old grey kitten, Bowtie, on February 18. His previous owners gave me all paperwork from his vet visit including shots and dewormer. He’s soon due for a second vet visit to get a second shot of a vaccine and I have just given him his second dose of dewormer from the vet yesterday morning.

A little under a week ago, he made a gagging sound twice in a row. I wasn’t sure what it was, I looked up everything from coughing to reverse sneezing and could not figure it out. Immediately after he went right back to playing and running around and had no other symptoms.
This morning around 5am he brought me a fuzzy ball and started playing like usual. He then stopped and made the sound again, but for significantly longer. He laid down this time and every time he would make this gagging sound he would also stick his neck out simultaneously. It sounded and looked like when my 8 year old cat would hack up a hairball, but nothing came out of Bowtie. Afterwards he immediately started running around and playing like normal. I checked his airways for any kind of obstruction but they look clear and he is still not having any other symptoms. I’m not sure if kittens this young get hairballs and I’m absolutely sure it was not sneezing because I have seen him sneeze before and this is not the same at all.

I was able to capture audio of the gagging this morning, you cannot see Bowtie because it was so early it was still very dark.

Is my kitten gagging??

I lost my 8 year old Ginger cat unexpectedly in November due to an undiagnosed cancerous tumor, so I may be overly paranoid about Bowtie. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS.

I listened to your audio and I think it would help if we could also see, watch, how your kitten acts when he is coughing or gagging.

Did you see if Bowtie sticks his tongue out when he's producing that sound?

One of my cats would make a similar sound when she was a young cat, about 4 to 5 months old, I also managed to shot a short video that I showed my vet.
My cat would stick her tongue out.
My vet said it was likely asthma, and gave me drops of cortisone to put in my cat's mouth during these moments.

My cat's issue solved on its own in a couple of months, luckily.