2 Litters Combined

jcmclain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I pulled a new mama cat and litter from our local animal shelter and was told they combined 2 different litters to make the current litter. Mama 1 was not nursing her 2ish week old kittens anymore. Being kitten season, the shelter introduced the 3 kittens to a new mama cat with her few day old kittens(still have umbilical nub) and she took them in. The current litter size is 7 and mama has 5 producing nipples and still lays to nurse everyone. Even though she is nursing, I am supplement feeding the newborns about 4 times a day Everyone is gaining weight and pottying. My concern is the size difference between the 2 starting litters. The newborns weigh 149, 152, 162, 172 grams and the older 3 weigh 290, 316, 322 grams. I'm noticing a few claw marks on heads and faces of the newborn probably from the older ones pushing them away from the nipples. Should I separate them into 2 nursing boxes or just keep them together? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
jcmclain jcmclain

I would separate them into 2 boxes and rotate them every 2 hours.

Continue supplementing whoever does not gain 6-10 grams per day.

Be sure you have a heat source in the waiting box.

You'll need to rotate and supplement through the night too, unless you put them back together while you sleep.