2 feral cats driving me crazy

vizibara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a dog as a child and since then never had a pet. Over the last 2 months had to learn anything and everything I could about cats...feral cats.

It all started with baby cat that showed up on my patio. Luckily I had coconut milk which I later found out was good for the kitty. I rushed to a neighbor who owns 4 cats asking if the kitty was hers. She said no all her cats were fixed but kindly gave me almond milk and real kitty food. Sadly the kitty never showed up again despite me putting food out there every day in case he did. However, a grown up big black cat started to come which I thought was the mom. I named the black cat Micifuz A week later another big tuxedo cat showed up too which I named Cali. So started feeding them thinking these might be the kitty's parents. In the midst of this my neighbor teaches and convinces me about doing TNR for the cats. So did research bought a cage and found out an organization that could do TNR first on Micifuz, This is how I found out Micifuz was a male and that the weird thing he would do on my patio furniture and bamboo trees was something called spraying. I also learned that Cali the tuxedo cat had already gone through TNR. Thank God for this because I would have traumatized Cali like I did with Micifuz. Despite me watching tons of videos, reading hours and hours about trapping covering trap, etc there is no question in my inexpert mind and heart that Micifuz was traumatized after TNR. HE stopped showing for his afternoon naps on my patio . He simply eats and rushes out. See pic of Micifuz after TNR. Not sure who took Cali to TNR before my time but wondered if the person took the time to do this for Cali they must have cared and fed Cali.

Yesterday at night , in the midst of a Floridan torrential rain went looking for Micifuz and Cali wondering if they would be OK. In my brain I knew they were OK. They had to be OK since they already survive torrential rains and perhaps a hurricane too. I don't know what I was thinking even if I would have found them. Not sure what I could have done or they would have done. They probably would have rushed away since they are still afraid of me when I try to go out on the patio, they rush out.
So if someone can give me some ideas as to what to buy or how to help them stay safe outdoors since hurricane season is here. I don't know where they go during the day or at night but my guess is they are somewhat living in a house that sold next to mine but no one lives there for now. This house will be torn down to build a new one and if my cats stay there for sure they will loose shelter. Last night I left by the side of the house a blue container in case they needed some sort of dry shelter. Started thinking should I
1. buy pieces of drywall and have ready to lay on the side of the patio in case they need shelter See picture of patio sides that would need temp covering
2. Should I try and convince my husband of allowing me to figure out a way to make a shelter of our garage .
3. Should I just buy heavy duty tarp and have it ready. To put where or how who knows.

See I am going crazy ... crazy trying to figure out how to help Micifuz and Cali. I love these 2 cats dearly.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Community Cat Shelter Options Gallery
Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Feral Cat Winter Shelter
Winter Shelter Bins for Community Cats FAQ

It is very kind of you to help, and to have helped, these two cats already. If you google feral cat shelters, you will find many more sites with advice and ideas. It is not expensive to DIY; you can purchase heated shelters as well. It depends on how much you want to do.

What is the timeframe on Micifuz being neutered? Recent?

Your neighbor was really nice to advise you about TNR as it will keep the population under control. You are linking something you did to Micifuz's behavior and that is not necessarily the cause. Depending on how feral he is, this may be his personality. If he was friendlier before, he will warm up again. There is no assurance that Cali was handled more nicely than Micifuz. If she was trapped in a standard humane trap, it is basically all the same. They go in for food, door slams, cat panics, someone puts a towel over the trap, transports them to a vet or rescue, brings them back and releases them.

Try to get the cats to come to your property before the house next to you is demolished, if you can. If they are more free roaming, watch out for a suddenly missing cat and if that happens ask the crew if there are any closed in places, storage areas, etc where the cat could be trapped.

Using your garage is at your own discretion. I have done that successfully and allow the current ferals to use it at will. I also have shelters like those in the links around my property in the back. Other animals might access the open garage, but that depends on what is around you in terms of wildlife or other cats.

A tarp alone won't be much shelter and will get blown around. The drywall would have to be secured somehow so it does not crash down. I am not very adept in these things, so can't give advice but your husband could probably figure out something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vizibara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Community Cat Shelter Options Gallery
Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Feral Cat Winter Shelter
Winter Shelter Bins for Community Cats FAQ

It is very kind of you to help, and to have helped, these two cats already. If you google feral cat shelters, you will find many more sites with advice and ideas. It is not expensive to DIY; you can purchase heated shelters as well. It depends on how much you want to do.

What is the timeframe on Micifuz being neutered? Recent?

Your neighbor was really nice to advise you about TNR as it will keep the population under control. You are linking something you did to Micifuz's behavior and that is not necessarily the cause. Depending on how feral he is, this may be his personality. If he was friendlier before, he will warm up again. There is no assurance that Cali was handled more nicely than Micifuz. If she was trapped in a standard humane trap, it is basically all the same. They go in for food, door slams, cat panics, someone puts a towel over the trap, transports them to a vet or rescue, brings them back and releases them.

Try to get the cats to come to your property before the house next to you is demolished, if you can. If they are more free roaming, watch out for a suddenly missing cat and if that happens ask the crew if there are any closed in places, storage areas, etc where the cat could be trapped.

Using your garage is at your own discretion. I have done that successfully and allow the current ferals to use it at will. I also have shelters like those in the links around my property in the back. Other animals might access the open garage, but that depends on what is around you in terms of wildlife or other cats.

A tarp alone won't be much shelter and will get blown around. The drywall would have to be secured somehow so it does not crash down. I am not very adept in these things, so can't give advice but your husband could probably figure out something.
Ohh my buying a shelter in the next hour. I will try my best to have them in place. I will be talking to the crew and recruiting the neighbor to talk to them too.