2 Female Cats, Kitten Advice

Luna//Nova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is a long shot but I'm desperate for some advice on this:

In our house we have two female cats - mother (Luna) and daughter (Nova) - and Nova has just given birth to four kittens. Roughly halfway or three quarters of the way through Novas pregnancy, her mum started to take a serious dislike to her. She would hit Nova and spit at her and attack her any time she went near her. Nova never done anything to aggravate Luna and we are still unsure why Luna is acting like this, my stepmother thinks its because Luna might be pregnant too but we still do not have a solid answer. Luna has continued to snarl and hiss at Nova right up until she was about to give birth. Right now the kittens are here and Luna hasn't really bothered with them or Nova but I am still wary. Im looking for advice on what to do with this situation and if you think Luna will try and attack Novas kittens? Any advice at all would be massivley appreciated, I can't find anything anywhere on this kind of situation. Thank you for reading this far and for your help

Erin

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I suspect Luna's behavior toward Nova was due to Nova's pregnancy hormones. And I'd suggest keeping Nova and the kittens in a separate room, away from Luna.

I hope Luna isn't pregnant. And please ensure Nova is kept inside and away from any intact males, as she can become pregnant again, even while still nursing the kittens, and without appearing to be in heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna//Nova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have just been keeping Nova in one of our rooms with our kittens and keeping Luna out the way, thank you for your help its really appreciated!

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m impressed that Nova isn’t going after Luna to be honest. I thought all mother cats who kittens are still nursing were very protective of those kittens and would attack other animals that got near. Of course all I know about such things is what I’ve seen on Kitten Academy and those moms are protecting the kittens from the foster’s cats. So thank you, I learned something new from reading this.

I’ve never had a cat who gave birth so I don’t think I know enough to give advice, though I would think what Rubysmama said is right. I did want to suggest that you the pregnant cats and kittens forum. There are a lot of different threads between the forums and I know I can’t go through them all, you might find the people that can help you the most are there and wouldn’t find the thread on this forum, if that makes sense. I hope things work out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna//Nova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm quite surprised Nova isn't hissing or fighting back, she literally just moves back a bit and doesn't respond to Luna. Thank you for the advice though and I'll be sure to check out the other forums!