2 Day Kitten Not Eating Of Mama Cat

Cresentmooncatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 days ago i looked out my door at 6am to my cat giving birth to a kitten, the problom was that the mama was hidding from the kitten and not eating the placenta. So i put the kitten and mama in a kennel in my room so she would have to take care of the kitten instead she
was just meowing and trying to get out so i opened the kennel door later i came back and her and the kitten were under my bed, mama cat was taking somewhat care of the kitten she would honestly not pay to much attention to the kitten and i relized the kitten wasnt eating so i was watching videos all day on how to take care of this kitten i latter got him a bed, baby blanket, heating pad, kitten bottle, and kitten milk. Me my mom and sister made his bed and feed him and helped him go to the bathroom after we feed him he looked so much healthier not super skinny and happy. But just a couple hours ago i put him back with mama and she is trying to take care of him but the kitten still dosent know how to nurse of her, should i keep syringe/bottle feeding the kitten. I just dont want to force anything on the kitten that isn't nautral.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Reading and writing, stand by

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats you DO manage to keep life in the kitten, get it to eat and go potty.

Yes, continue to handfeed till you are entirely sure it manages well with momma.

You arent disrupting his eating habits. Momma is always nicest, so if momma has anything to give, he will always get his share from momma.

You follow up by weighting daily (even every 12 hours in the beginning). If you see he is adding over 10 grammes every day, good, if not you must give him even more.

Some cats arent terribly good mommas. Or she perhaps has some pains somewhere, and that is why she hasnt the strengh to take care of him properly.

Or even - she felt its some fault on him. In nature, moms often abandon such a kitten and it dies.
But living with humans such a "doomed" kitten can often be saved by a good caretaking owner.

So, continue to take care of him, and good you do continue to let them reunion.
Exactly as you are trying to do.

Btw, what is the kitten milk you use?? Exactly?

Can you get raw goats milk?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cresentmooncatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the milk i use! He/she seems to love it,

About 10 minutes ago i feed the kitten right next to momma which i think made him feel more safe which then lead him to nurse! Thank you so much for helping! me save this kitten but if i do find he does still have troubles i will just feed him next to momma to make him feel safe.

Also im very glad i did my research today so i knew i was giving proper care to this kitten. And i will get him a good home once he gets to 8 weeks and momma spayed!

Attachments

Cresentmooncatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also i could get goats milk but i dont need to because he is nursing, but i will still keep an eye on him to make sure he is still eating properly, also while i was at the store i forgot about a scale i will try to get a scale today do weigh him to make sure he is growing properly

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This kmr you use is excellent, a good brand. Still, raw goats milk may have an edge especielly to orphans.

You can perhaps borrow a scale from some neigbour?? Otherwise, buy some scale you can use afterwards too. A kitchen scale is good.

Thank you for being there. Thank you.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A hearty:welcomesign:to the TCS Cresentmooncatlady. Congratulations on your wonderful success in the care of the newly born kitten and getting momma to feed him. If you could keep the little one with his mom a little longer it would be so much better for him. 8 weeks is the minimum period but today 12 and even 14 weeks is considered the best.

Would love some pics.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cresentmooncatlady, further to my previous post 7 , if you haven't yet read them please note that you can find helpful information under the Cat Care Forums particularly on the subject "How Old Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother" under "Pregnant Cat and Kittens Care"
I hope you find this helpful.
I very much look forward to your new posts and pics.

Cresentmooncatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much i will read under that category, at 7 am i found my cat having two more kittens but shes not eating the placentas or cleaning them. Its been almost four hours without food or being cleaned, what should i do because i can wipe them with a warm damp washcloth but what about the placenta, i dont think you can cut off a placenta..please help

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes now you can cut off the placenta with your nails or a blunt scissor. Now is a normal sharp scissor prob ok.

Try to give the kittens a little water with some honey or karo.

It will buy you time.

Cresentmooncatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you i will do that, should i feed the water out of a bottle or syringe for newborns

Also i will call my vets for an checkup

Ive had a couple litters of kittens and this never happened so i was curious.

But thank u so much i will keep u updated

Cresentmooncatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is mama and her two new babys ( the kitten born a day older is cuddled against me..) but im worried about the gray fluffy kitten he hasn't eaten so im going to give him some water and mabey some formula.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give with whstever works and you are comfortable with.

If the kitten is weak bottle may be too difficult.

Begin with syringe if you know how to use it.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way to ascertain that the baby kittens are being fed sufficiently is by weighing them. They should gain approximately 10 grams (0,35 oz) per day.

Cresentmooncatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thank you my mom is heading to the store to grab one im thinking of feeding the gray kitten anyways because he hasent been eating as much as the other kittens

Thank you guys for all the advice i appreciate it!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please weigh the kittens daily using a small kitchen or postage scale that weighs in grams. It will help you to make sure that everyone is getting enough. Kittens don't need to drink water alone; they get their hydration from milk.

For mom, can you keep her 100% inside and away from intact males? She can get pregnant again at any time.

She can be spayed when the kittens are 8-weeks-old, but kittens should stay with her until 10-12 weeks at least. Please consider having the kittens fixed before they are rehomed as well.