2-3 Week Old Rescued Kitten [stimulation]

MadeleineBishop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued an abandoned kitten last Memorial Day Weekend. Was told by a veterinarian she was 2-2.5 weeks old.

It seems like my kitten hates being stimulated. The first week she really didn't enjoy it. Now it's almost like stimulating her hurts her :( She tries her best to wiggle out and makes a noise like she's calling for help. The only time she wasn't trying to fight it was when she pooped a giant slightly constipated poop (she was straining pretty hard and I have to admit it was pretty cute). Besides that, she pees and poops fine.

Is this normal behavior? Do some cats just dislike stimulation?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you stimulating gently with a warm, damp cloth? It should not be done too hard or for too long.

Is her bottom sore? If so, you can apply coconut or olive oil.

How old is your kitten now?

She may be able to go on her own soon! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MadeleineBishop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm using a damp warm paper towel. I stimulate in one direction very gently especially now with all the commotion.

She's about 3-3.5 weeks old.

I have a small litter box to introduce her to it but she seems to be freaked out from it. She doesn't want to stay in it all. Sounds like weird behavior because she's really nice, playful, and affectionate (and loves to cuddle). I really want her to transition to the litter box since she hates stimulation. I've stimulated her over the litter box as well. I'm using an aluminum baking tray - might consider buying a plastic rubber mate container.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She probably isn't quite ready for the litter box yet. Give it another week or so.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, very cute!

If she has her baby teeth in, she may be 4 weeks. If not, 3 weeks. Kittens wean easier and learn the litter box better starting around 5-6 weeks. :)

MadeleineBishop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

This may be premature - but I think she's officially litter trained!

Since my last post: She peed near the litter box so I picked her up and brought her to the litter box so she can finish her business. At 5am this morning she went on her own in the litter box. Few hours later she had an accident :/ It was the exact same spot so I covered the area and blocked it so she wouldn't be able to come back to it (ordered Nature's Miracle Cat on amazon already). Ever since then she's been using the litter box. Watching her claw at the litter before she goes is so cute.

She has teeth already so she must be 4 weeks? If she was 2-2.5 weeks when I found her then this Saturday she's be unofficially 4-4.5 weeks old.

Question: If she's going potty on her own, should I continue stimulating?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, if she goes on her own then she no longer needs stimulating. :)

MadeleineBishop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another question: Does anyone know if she'll be a longhair cat? Or any idea how she will look as an adult cat? Just very curious! :)

Attachments

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to hazard a guess and say short hair. I'm looking at her tail and head for this. What you are seeing is the kitten fuzzies.

MadeleineBishop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to hazard a guess and say short hair. I'm looking at her tail and head for this. What you are seeing is the kitten fuzzies.
I've uploaded some better pictures to get a better idea. :)

DSC_0544.JPG DSC_0548.JPG

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to stick with short hair. Although, I'm probably wrong and she's a medium hair.
It's so hard to tell with the kitten fuzzies.

MadeleineBishop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to stick with short hair. Although, I'm probably wrong and she's a medium hair.
It's so hard to tell with the kitten fuzzies.
I'll be back in the future with an update :)