2-3 week old kittens!

tyclarke89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey I need help! I’ve got two kittens about 2-3 weeks old no mother sadly she passed away. The female weighs 201g and the male weighs 277g. They keep sucking on each other’s genitals so I’ve separated them. The male isn’t eating as much as the female. Sometimes I feel like I’m forcing them but I can’t tell. Can someone give me some tips and directions please I’d take them to the vet but I don’t have the money right now.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they have KMR? They should be fed with kitten formula until up to 7 weeks of age at least. Somebody here may be able to give better advice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which brand KMR are you using?

How much and how often do you feed? By syringe or bottle?

They are definitely underweight for their age. How long have they been without mom?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyclarke89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m using KMR thats in a powder form. I try to feed them every 2-3 hours but they don’t always wanna eat. I also use a bottle. They haven’t been with their mom for about a week and a half I believe. I wanna see these kittens make it and any advice will be very helpful.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's more important that they're gaining weight than where they are right now. Have you been weighing them at least daily? They should gain something about 10+ grams a day, with the goal of 450 grams or about a pound a month. A day or so without those gains isn't necessarily a problem, but we want to see the upward trend over the long term.

I hope they're warm enough. They most likely can't regulate their temperature much at only a few weeks old, though that should improve in a couple more weeks. Do you have some kind of external heat source? Make sure they have a spot they can crawl away from it if they get too warm.

Are you stimulating them to poop? Mom cat isn't there to do it, so you have to.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have access to raw goats milk? If so, you may try with this too. For some works goat milk better than a kmr.