19 Year Old Cat With Blood In Stool And Sniffly/snotty Breathing

KatetheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet 19 year old cat is very healthy for her age, but just tonight I noticed her breathing was very sniffly/snotty sounding. Almost like a stuffy nose. When she went to the cat box I decided to check it to see if anything was wrong and sure enough there was a bit of red blood.

She has always, for as long as I remember, been a sneezy/sniffly cat. It’s never caused her much harm but we got her on meds for a while and we clean her nose so she can breath better. I haven’t noticed her being sniffly for quite a while now, except tonight. She’s also had blood in her stool before and been fine, but the two together concerns me.

It’s 12 am but my mom said we could take her to the vet tomorrow morning if she was still doing this. Does this seem like an immedient emergency to y’all?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not immediate emergency but I would take her first thing. When was her last yearly (or bi-yearly) check up? When was her last bloodwork or urinalysis?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm with Jen. Not immediate, but not "sometime later on" either. My main concern is her age. Illnesses are just harder to throw off the older our cats (and we) get.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At 19, you take them to the vet whenever something unusual occurs - even if they've been healthy all their lives. Things can affect an older cat so much more so. The bloody stool is a sure sign of something amiss, however small it may turn out to be.

Please let us know what happens at the vets.