18 year old indoor deaf cat - hissing and scratching at her own reflection / shadow

Tinks2005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our beloved cat Tinkerbell is 18 and a half years old.
She had a UTI 2 months ago and her behavior changed for a week where she seemed to be hallucinating and was hissing in fear. She hid under the stairs for 4 days.
Some antibiotics cleared this up over a 10 days period and she was so good.
Just in the past week we've found she screams, hisses and lashes out at her reflections again and just in the last day she has reacted the same way with shadows. We have had to cover mirrors, the dishwasher door, oven and other shiny
00D88C99-B0B2-4E25-A712-BD23567FFB23_1_201_a.jpeg
surfaces.
Its like she is possessed and afraid and has the look of the devil in her eyes. I got scratched for the first time in a decade.
We'll go back to the vet after work tomorrow, but wonder if anyone has seen this exhibited in their older kitty?
I'm so scared of losing her :(

Peter

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her UTI may ahve returned and she needs a different antibiotic. I am a retired RN and have found that UTI's can have a profound effect on people's mental health. They can go from friendly and placid to scratching, screaming, beings that you don't even recognize. When somebody started acting out of character that is the first thing we checked for, UTI's. She is at the age when she could be developing some dementia, which does develop in older cats at times. Definitely encourage water, set several little bowls around to make her check them out, and hopefully drink. you might get a supplement on Amazon for UTI's that helps prevent them. Maybe with cranberry. It wouldn't hurt and they have them in treats, or get a liquid and put it in a lickable treat. That poor little girl, it must be heartbreaking to feel so helpless to help her. I pray you find out what it is and cure her!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely get her rechecked for a UTI. If the vet didn't do a urine culture before, have them do one this time. It will tell what type of bacteria is involved and which antibiotics would be the most effective.

As mentioned above, you could consider giving her a bladder support supplement, such as pure D-Mannose. Many different bacteria adhere to the D-Mannose and are then peed out rather than colonizing in the bladder, reducing the chances of future UTIs. I put it in my 19+yo cat's food and have been doing so for 3-4 years as she was having frequent UTIs. Since then, she had only had one (knock on wood). There are members on here who also give it to their cats to help with overall bladder health.