17 years old, lost a ton of weight, diagnosed with kidney disease, losing alot of hair, bilateral, hind area, lots of licking

luvnsurf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have searched all over the internet and have not found anything about kidney disease and excessive grooming, where clumps of hair fall out. Has anyone else had this experience? I think she is only about 5-6 lbs now. She was always a smaller cat but she is very lean now. This picture doesn't really do justice, she is extremely patchy on her backside. Her drool is a bit smelly, she was given an antibiotic a few weeks ago. She is still eating and drinking what she can. She has become a messy eater, her mouth does not seem to work as well.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dental issues can cause messy eating and eating is painful. The vet should check the teeth. A dental procedure is generally done to address dental issues like bad teeth and resorptive lesions but an elderly cat with a health issue like kidney disease may not be a good candidate to undergo any procedure that involves anesthesia.

Is your cat's kidney disease currently being managed with diet and / or medication? Did the excessive grooming occur after the diagnosis and the start of diet / medicine? If it did, I wonder if your cat is having a reaction to something in the food or medicine that is causing itchy bothersome skin that needs to be constantly groomed / soothed.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
@LTis right about checking the teeth. Over grooming is a sign of urinary problems. Are your litter boxes uncovered so can observe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvnsurf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the fast reply! They checked teeth, granted it was not under sedation but the vets (two of them) said she was "cooperative". It could be from the food or meds, because it did seem to start more once she was on the meds. She is on kidney food. Hills. Also, .3ml buprenorphine and cerenia for dogs and they have me dose it at a quarter of a tablet. She had some mirataz but I don't give that to her since she is wanting to eat on her own. We are taking a palliative\ hospice approach with her. I did call the vet and spoke to a staff who asked the doctor and she said that is was probably over grooming. Maybe it is just stress or pain? I was just wondering if any other people experienced this issue.

luvnsurf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@LTis right about checking the teeth. Over grooming is a sign of urinary problems. Are your litter boxes uncovered so can observe?
She seems to use the box more often but that is probably related to kidney disease.

luvnsurf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have stopped giving her the pain meds and she definitely seems to not be licking there. I was also trying to use waterless no-rinse shampoo by Wahl because wherever she licks, had a distinct odor. There were some wipes I was using also. However, since she has stopped licking, I have stopped using all three things. I personally, think it was the pain meds.