17 Day Old Kitten With Eyes Hardly Open

Nicole Johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had three kittens that are 17 days old and one of them still has not opened its eyes. I started using warm water and a cotton ball two days ago and seems they are just barely opened now. No discharge or puss at all and no swelling noticeable. Is there anything else I should do, should I just get her to the vet or give it another couple days?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should see a vet to make sure there is no infection.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please let us know what the vet says. It's possible they are just now opening a little late, but it's best to be on the safe side.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On researching when a kittens eyes open, it says on most sites that they should be fully open in two to three weeks. I can see in your picture they are starting to open, a vet needs to be consulted if there is any discharge. Seeing a vet would calm any fears, if you can't afford one right now, waiting until 21 days has passed if there are no signs of infection would not be bad. That particular kitten might have been more underdeveloped than the others, I have had several kittens that were a week behind the others opening their eyes. Sarthur2 is right, a vet would be the best bet, they may be able to help you over the phone or if you took a close up and brought it in or E-mailed it. Bless you for being so concerned.