16 year old male cat with bone cancer of the jaw - when to put to sleep?

jakeHorton20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all

I have a nearly 17 year old black male moggie called Millie who I've had since I was 10 and is, unquestionably, my best friend.
7 months ago (Feb 21) he was diagnosed with an osteosarcoma growing on his lower jaw. Since then the tumour has grown easily 10x its size and has spread across his jaw, causing premolars and molars on right side of his mouth to fall out and numerous other growths In his mouth have meant that for the past 6 weeks the only way I've been able to get him to eat has been through hand-feeding and, more recently, syringe feeding him high-calorie meal replacements (he has also been on meticam daily for the duration of the 7 months, so I know his kidneys will be weakening). The inside of his mouth is now, unquestionably, a mess, and the site where his teeth fell out are now a hole that pretty consistently bleeds a small amount.

Over the past week or so I've noticed small changes- he no longer can eat any cat food at all (is very eager to, buy physically can't pick the food up in his mouth) and seems a tiny bit less interested and alert, but otherwise is a very happy cat- happy to sun himself, happy to be loved (albeit in smaller stroking sessions now) and still very keen on grooming (though as he is constantly drooling now, this doesn't work particularly well).

I know his time is coming very soon (so much so that I'd ready decided twice now that a certain day I'd make the call), but I'm really struggling to know when enough is enough. I deeply believe in the phrase 'a day early is better than a day late', but seeing him enjoy life everyday is making it seem like I'd be making the decision too early.
I've looked at various 'scoring systems' on when to put a pet down, and honestly he seems to still have a fair quality of life, but I'm terrified of letting him get bad enough for a real clear indicator to tell me that he's ready.

I know there is no right or wrong time, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've attached some images to hopefully paint a clearer picture (warning, could be considered somewhat graphic)

Thank you so much,

Jake

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jakeHorton20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention, he has been to the vets several times and they recommended palliative care - I'm reluctant to take him so close to the end as he gets very worked up and I forsee him hurting his mouth further when transporting him in the car. I have spoken to a mobile vet, but due to corona, they are only able to come over to euthanise and not conduct check-ups

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw, sweet angel !! what a sweet face, illness and all ! I can sympathize with your dilemma ! what a blessing you are to be tending to him at this time. 💕 :sickcat:I had a cat , Snowball, for 17 years . for 14 of those years , she was in perfect health. the last 3 she declined with kidney failure and finally cancer. She developed a sore that wouldn't heal above her eye , and drained. I had to clean it daily so it wouldn't drain into her eye . ( all white cats are prone to skin cancer , not unlike fair skin people) they told me in order to get it all , they would have to remove her eye . I said no , and opted for palliative care . I couldn't do that to her at 16 yrs old. she was already in renal failure anyway... so, she started to decline. I believed she would let me know when she was ' ready ' to go. She would still give and receive love .. and seemed to enjoy life , in spite of it all. .then, her appetite started to go downhill .. she was showing signs of becoming very frail , and then would no longer eat. I could only get her to eat the juice from tuna fish. ( for 2 days I lived on tuna so she would get the juice !) I knew her quality of life was all but gone . We took her to the vet, and the MD said " yes, its time " and her passing was very peaceful. In fact, my husband and I took her outside and let her bask in the sunshine and grass one last time before we took her out ,as she had always loved that . I'm sorry if this is too long, but thought maybe my story would be helpful some how. If your baby IS able to eat, even if it is with you syringe feeding him , and NOT in pain / suffering .. still has some quality of life, then I would love on him and cherish this "hospice" time with him . I believe you will recognize the signs when he has had enough of this life and is ready to go. He will probably no longer want anything to eat at all. Start growing more weak; stop grooming, and you will see the " spark" go.. you know your fur baby and you will know its time I believe. Best to you and your baby in the days ahead !! :heartshape:

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum.

I assume the high calorie meal replacement is KMR That is definitely what he needs right now because of his inability to eat solid food.

Just being an old cat is enough to have weak kidneys. Chronic renal failure (CRF) is the most common medical cause of death in cats. If Metacam is helping Millie, keep giving it to him.

What you are seeing is a cat who knows his days are numbered. He is getting ready to leave you by distancing himself a little bit. But he obviously is still a happy cat and as comfortable as possible considering his age and health. You will "know" when the time comes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has the vet tried Prednisone to shrink the tumors? I took care of a cat that was a real mess, he had tumors in his mouth, he got dumped and showed up at my place, most likely because of all the drooling. The steroid worked miracles. He stopped drooling and lived for two more years. It can cause renal failure, but he was dying and if it made him so much better I thought it was worth the risk. He never did. I reduced his dose down to half when he got better, and just once a day instead of two. Palliative care DOES include making them comfortable and the steroid just might.
My heart goes out to you, as long as he seems to enjoy life, doesn't hide, and wants to be with you, I would give that time, and love, to him......

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry that you are facing this with your friend. I had a cat years ago who passed from squamous cell carcinoma of the mouth so I understand what you are going through and the difficult decisions that you have to make

Palliative care can mean a lot of things. If your vet, who is probably very good, means that you would bring your cat in for acupuncture or chiropractic treatments, massage, etc that is one way to look at it. Acupuncture can help pain, chiropractic is not going to do anything for your cat as most other tactile therapies will not either. Pain control is the most important part of palliative care. As such, if you are not using pred, it is worth a try, as another painkiller might be as well. Since you have been taking him to the vet, I don't see why you cannot be given any medication needed so that you can keep him comfortable at home. I don't think that taking him back and forth to the vet needs to be part of this.

It sounds as if he is still enjoying himself as much as he can and you are monitoring him very carefully.