16 week old kitten only wanting milk

mariak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 16 week old kitten that's really finicky, she only eats a tiny bit of wet food mixed in with KMR milk. She constantly begs to be fed and only eats a tiny bit at a time, luckily I work from home so I can keep mixing up milk and food, but I'm going to be adopting her out soon and no one is going to put up with this. The only food she'll eat is a tiny bit of blue healthy gourmet kitten mixed with milk.
I actually walked around petsmart and picked a can of every single kitten food I could find, mixed them with milk, heated them up, I've tried adult foods that my other cats eat, I'm at my wits end.
She also likes bacon...
I've weaned and cared for many kittens, but this one has me stumped.
Any advice is greatly welcomed!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a dab of Vegemite, mixed in.

Careful... It’s really salty. Just a dab.

Then, again, bacon is salty, too. It’ll be a horse apiece. But I’d rather have them eating Vegemite than bacon.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! You can buy Vegemite in the US. I have a jar in my cupboard, right now. :)

I understand about the salt. I don't disagree but, like I said, just a tiny bit.

The recommended serving size is 5 g. That's a fraction of a teaspoon full. I would use just a fraction of that.
I give Casper a bit of Vegemite, every once in a while. I only give him a little dab on my fingertip.

For a kitten, I would use less than that. The idea that I'm going for is just to add an extra bit of savory flavor, not to actually feed the cat Vegemite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! You can buy Vegemite in the US. I have a jar in my cupboard, right now. :)

I understand about the salt. I don't disagree but, like I said, just a tiny bit.

The recommended serving size is 5 g. That's a fraction of a teaspoon full. I would use just a fraction of that.
I give Casper a bit of Vegemite, every once in a while. I only give him a little dab on my fingertip.

For a kitten, I would use less than that. The idea that I'm going for is just to add an extra bit of savory flavor, not to actually feed the cat Vegemite.
Thank you, I have something called dynamite, not sure if that's similar to the vegemite, I will Google it.
Yesterday at 10pm I was cooking bacon, I reserved the fat and added a few drops to the top of her food and she was eating it! I wonder if there's a bacon flavored cat food or something that isn't to unhealthy that I can sprinkle onto her food... I think I'm going to be investigating this today.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I‘ve heard of Dynamite but never tried it. It’s made of brewer‘s yeast, the same as Vegemite.
Go ahead and try it.

You can also get a similar thing called Marmite.

I like the idea of bacon drippings.

Just go easy on the stuff... whatever you use. Vegemite has a very strong flavor. A little goes a long way.

The goal is to add just enough extra flavor in order to get the kitten to eat, not to overpower the taste of the food.

You only want to spice thing up just a little bit. ;)