15-year-old cat has had 4 UTIs so far this year

lvnfit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat keeps getting UTIs. This all started in 2018; 4 years ago. As time goes by they become more frequent. This year she's had 4 episodes since March. The last episode was only one month after her previous episode. Two times it was e-coli; other 2 times it was another strain of bacteria. Vet keeps preaching about her water intake. She drinks water all the time from 2 separate water bowls in 2 different rooms. I'm home all day and I witness this. Her diet is grain free wet food, and I add water to that as well, and I sometimes give her water I strain off a can of tuna. I'm sure her immune system is compromised due to her age.

Her blood work including T4 tests are always good. Never any crystals or stones in her urine. I don't know what more I can do. She suffers terribly when she has a uti and consequently so do I. She is otherwise healthy so I'm thinking this uti business is here for the rest of her life. Has anyone experienced this and have any suggestions? Is there a magic pill I'm not aware of?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try pure D-Mannose powder - it is used to help clear bacteria from the bladder. Feeby was getting recurring UTIs (mostly e-coli) and so I started giving her 1/4 tsp mixed with her food daily. The only UTI that she has had since then is when I reduced the D-Mannose from daily to 1-2 a week, so now I am back to giving it to her every day.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m so sorry your kitty (what’s her name?) and you are going through this; it can be distressing and frustrating. :alright: I lost my 17-year-old Lily a year ago to an antibiotic-resistant UTI.

Thanks to FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and other members’ suggestions, I started Lily’s sister, Iris, on both D-Mannose and cornsilk extract. She had three or four UTIs last year, and since I started her on maintenance doses of these two supplements a year ago, she’s had only one.

According to what I read, the D-Mannose is supposed to bind with the e-coli and draw it out with the urine. The cornsilk is supposed to help reduce inflammation and irritation of the bladder. I mix four drops into her food in the morning. When she had her UTI, that increased.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lvnfit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try pure D-Mannose powder - it is used to help clear bacteria from the bladder. Feeby was getting recurring UTIs (mostly e-coli) and so I started giving her 1/4 tsp mixed with her food daily. The only UTI that she has had since then is when I reduced the D-Mannose from daily to 1-2 a week, so now I am back to giving it to her every day.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that!!

lvnfit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so sorry your kitty (what’s her name?) and you are going through this; it can be distressing and frustrating. :alright: I lost my 17-year-old Lily a year ago to an antibiotic-resistant UTI.

Thanks to FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and other members’ suggestions, I started Lily’s sister, Iris, on both D-Mannose and cornsilk extract. She had three or four UTIs last year, and since I started her on maintenance doses of these two supplements a year ago, she’s had only one.

According to what I read, the D-Mannose is supposed to bind with the e-coli and draw it out with the urine. The cornsilk is supposed to help reduce inflammation and irritation of the bladder. I mix four drops into her food in the morning. When she had her UTI, that increased.
Thanks for the additional information about cornsilk! My cat's name is Kira. Here is her picture.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have have heard many excellent anecdotes, including with humans, about the success with D-mannose against UTIs. For fast synptom relief, marshmallow root tea is very soothing for the urinary and respiratory tracts; if kitty is suffering from urgency and feeling that her bladder isn't empty, adding marshmallow root often helps so you can ask her vet about that. Slippery elm bark has similar benefits. Because the soothing actions include coating the mucus membranes (which might inhibit absorption of other medications), it's a good idea to separate administration by 2-4 hours. I hope this helps - kidney/bladder problems are miserable.

lvnfit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for this information! I have ordered D-Mannose so that I can try it. I really hope it helps because my vet doesn't offer any other solution, and from previous consults with him about homeopathic remedies, he has not been encouraging. For him, if there's no clinical evidence of its efficacy, it's a waste of time.:(

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
from previous consults with him about homeopathic remedies, he has not been encouraging. For him, if there's no clinical evidence of its efficacy, it's a waste of time.:(
I have found this to be true with many doctors and pharmacists. Both sides of my family have traditionally used herbs, massage and baths; my father's people are descendants of healers so I am familiar with them but not certified. Fortunately, my vet was raised on a Pacific NW ranch & is also familiar with herbs; my favorite doctor is originally a practitioner with the Egyptian army and trained in both modern & traditional medicine. It's a unique situation for me and a real blessing, both for myself and my animals. Because most clinical studies are paid for by pharmaceutical companies, there isn't much hardfast evidence for supplements and herbs. I work as a pharmacy associate and have access to the TRC Natural Medicines Database which lists both anticipated benefits and clinical study results - your local pharmacy might be willing to provide you with printouts which you can show your vet. Other countries also offer information more accessible to consumers; however, only your local vet is most familiar with their own patients, local diseases & challenges which is why we always recommend vet supervision.
Here's a link to give you a brief introduction to marshmallow root (I think it's from Israel but the mallows are plentiful in the US [hollyhock flowers included] and act similarly but the marshmallow from swampy areas is usually considered the most potent)

lvnfit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for this information! In a way, I can understand my vet's skepticism. I personally tried Chinese herbs recommended by an acupuncturist (for my use), and I had the most horrible reaction. I'm always open-minded though.;)

Kellster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1. Use only stainless steel bowls for her water. Ceramic and plastic bowls wear little scrapes that hold bacteria, no matter how much you clean them.

2. Give her only filtered water. Brita and Pur make pitchers, tanks and faucet attachments that are pretty inexpensive.

3. Make sure to wash her water bowls and rinse them thoroughly... often.

4. Don't keep the water bowl anywhere near the litter boxes.

5. Do NOT give her human remedies!

6. Do NOT give her tuna water. Way too much sodium.

7. Slowly introduce regular food (not grain-free) into her diet. We had lots of trouble when we switched to grain-free.

(My experience: I've had 21 cats in my lifetime, including our current 7. Only 3 of the 14 I've lost passed away before the age of 18.)