15 Month Battle Comes To An End

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I updated Chloes story in the health forum but today l made the heart breaking gut wrenching decision to end my cats battle with a very rare adrenal gland tumor.

The vet said in his 45 years as a vet he has never come across a cat with this bc thats how rare it is.

Chloe was only just 11 but her time has already come and gone. She was the sweetest cat ever. She had no flaws. Loved me through good and bad and helped me severely with my depression.
Chloe saved me 10 years ago and today l could not save her. But l hope l set her free. Chloe was a true fighter. I believe my love pushed her through. I know hers pushed me many times. I love you sweet girl. Please meet me at the bridge someday.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry it came to this. I know you will grieve for the loss of her, but i think you did the right thing for her. It is always so hard to let them go, but sometimes it is the kindest and most loving thing we can do. Be at peace and beleave you will meet her on the bridge when the time is right. She will be happy and pain free until then.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The loss is so great and felt so very deep because the love was that much greater. You could not let your sweet girl suffer, you gave her one last act of love and ended a future full of pain and fear. It tears our hearts apart to lose them, but the love they shared with us, their being a part of our lives for a while, is a treasure beyond compare. Do not let the memories of those last few months overpower the good memories you have of that little girl. The good memories far outweigh the bad. She would be the last one to want to bring you pain, and just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, seek to bring sunshine and happiness once more into your life. Because that is what she wants for the one she loves so much, because that is what true love is. That love is spiritual, and even though the frail body fails, that love will go on for eternity. The bond you forged, link by link, will tie your souls together forever. It will never leave you because it is a part of you. Her new path will parallel yours until the day it once more crosses at the end of your own journey. Let your anticipation of that wonderful reunion bring you hope, and in the meantime know she is always near and sending you comfort in your precious memories.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much pain this brings to a shattered soul. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, be gentle on yourself, you gave her the greatest gift of all, your love......RIP dear Chloe. You will never be forgotten, you will forever hold a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your little sweetheart, it is always so difficult to make that decision but you did the best that you could and made the right but hurtful choice, but she is free of her pain ridden body and just fine now, no more pain it is you who is understandably hurting but that is normal and we are all here for you to support you, and when the time is right down the line perhaps you will adopt another one in need.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm deeply sorry for your Chloe.

As I said in the the other thread, I know how rare that disease is because my cat had the same disease.
No vet has ever seen a case like that before, because a case each year in the world is too little for anybody to have an experience.
I take my cats to a clinic, where several vets of all age work, and when my cat was diagnosed, none of them had ever seen anything like that before. And some of them had even never heard of it before. One of them told me that at the vet university they do not always teach and explain this illness, because it's so rare that it's a waste of time.

Now Chloe and Lola can tell each other how their humans fought hard for them while the vets didn't know what to do.
Chloe is proud of you just like you are proud of her. Chloe was a valiant fighter and warriior and you did what you could.

RIP Chloe, now you feel strong again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

As I said in the the other thread, I know how rare that disease is because my cat had the same disease.
No vet has ever seen a case like that before, because a case each year in the world is too little for anybody to have an experience.
I take my cats to a clinic, where several vets of all age work, and when my cat was diagnosed, none of them had ever seen anything like that before. And some of them had even never heard of it before. One of them told me that at the vet university they do not always teach and explain this illness, because it's so rare that it's a waste of time.

Now Chloe and Lola can tell each other how their humans fought hard for them while the vets didn't know what to do.
Chloe is proud of you just like you are proud of her. Chloe was a valiant fighter and warriior and you did what you could.

Thank you. I hate that our girls ended ip dying from something so rare.

Thank you. I am so sad our girls ended up with something so rare. How old was Lola?
I would of went another thousand miles with her on this journey but in the end she was tired and ready to be free.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I am so sad our girls ended up with something so rare. How old was Lola?
I would of went another thousand miles with her on this journey but in the end she was tired and ready to be free.
Lola was going to turn 17, you can see her in my profile photo.

She was diagnosed in April 2016, a month before she was 16. She spent two months without a diagnosis, while I was watching her fading away, without muscles and strength to do even the littlest thing. She would pee in her bed because she wasn't able to walk the few meters to her tray.
When they found the name of the illness, at last, she was put on potassium supplements (I used pills intended for humans, like you did) and spironolactone.
She was booked for a surgery that wasn't done because she was too weak, but three months of supplements and love took her to a new strength, ready for the surgery that was successful. She was 16 years, 2 months and 10 days old when she was operated.

Unfortunately the vets who did the CT scan before the surgery didn't see a cancer that was growing in her mouth, and two months later this cancer was large enough to be seen even by me.
She went through another long nightmare, but eventually she lost the battle and the war.

She left me 6 weeks before she could turn 17, after about 15 months of suference since her first symptoms.
And I will never forgive the doctors who didn't see the oral cancer, never!

SnugglesAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I updated Chloes story in the health forum but today l made the heart breaking gut wrenching decision to end my cats battle with a very rare adrenal gland tumor.

The vet said in his 45 years as a vet he has never come across a cat with this bc thats how rare it is.

Chloe was only just 11 but her time has already come and gone. She was the sweetest cat ever. She had no flaws. Loved me through good and bad and helped me severely with my depression.
Chloe saved me 10 years ago and today l could not save her. But l hope l set her free. Chloe was a true fighter. I believe my love pushed her through. I know hers pushed me many times. I love you sweet girl. Please meet me at the bridge someday.
I am so sorry for your loss. I also lost my 11 year old baby on January 15th after a battle with what started out as stomatitis last August. After she failed to completely heal following full teeth extraction in August, my vet began to think it was cancer. We never proceeded with a biopsy so, I will never know for sure; sometimes I wish I had done the biopsy for peace of mind since some of her symptoms didn't seem to go along with the cancer cats normally get in their mouths (although a mass finally did appear in January). I spoke with him again last week, and he stated that he thought she had had oral melanoma- which from what I am reading, is rare in cats. So, I know how devastating it is to feel that your baby was among the few to have a "rare" issue going on. I remember thinking the first time he mentioned cancer, that how unlucky could Snuggles have possibly have been- to have dental problems, stomatitis, and cancer. And then to have him tell me it was possibly oral melanoma- I am still trying to absorb that. But you know, whether it is a common disease or a rare disease, the fact remains that there are just some things we cannot control. Medicines might help, surgeries might help, but in the end, we have to let them go when it becomes too much for them- for their sake, not ours.

Anyway, like you, I kept trying everything with Snuggles- hoping that eventually we would prove the vet wrong. And she fought a good battle (we both did), but in the end, I had to do what was best for her. This site was a blessing for me when I had to make that decision, although it still hurts. I come and read some of the stories on here and I see that we all share that pain- in somewhat different ways, but the same gut-wrenching pain nonetheless. You tried so hard for your baby and if that isn't love, I don't know what is. Like many mentioned to me when I posted about my loss, you made the ultimate sacrifice- you chose to take the pain away from her and made it your own.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :redheartpump::redheartpump:

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lola was going to turn 17, you can see her in my profile photo.

She was diagnosed in April 2016, a month before she was 16. She spent two months without a diagnosis, while I was watching her fading away, without muscles and strength to do even the littlest thing. She would pee in her bed because she wasn't able to walk the few meters to her tray.
When they found the name of the illness, at last, she was put on potassium supplements (I used pills intended for humans, like you did) and spironolactone.
She was booked for a surgery that wasn't done because she was too weak, but three months of supplements and love took her to a new strength, ready for the surgery that was successful. She was 16 years, 2 months and 10 days old when she was operated.

Unfortunately the vets who did the CT scan before the surgery didn't see a cancer that was growing in her mouth, and two months later this cancer was large enough to be seen even by me.
She went through another long nightmare, but eventually she lost the battle and the war.

She left me 6 weeks before she could turn 17, after about 15 months of suference since her first symptoms.
And I will never forgive the doctors who didn't see the oral cancer, never!
Wow. 16 though is a great life. I will be honest if Chloe was over age 12 l may have not even considered surgery but she was only 9.5 years old and that is so young for a cat.
My other cat died in 2005 of sarcoma. I did notice a lump but l was young and let it go. Months went by and it got bigger and she seized. I finally took her to vet and she had terminal cancer. No time to prepare it was the only devision. She was only 8.
So imagine my guilt when at 9.5 Chloe becomes ill. I just cried thi king maybe l am doing something wrong. But l know we cannot control it.
I noticed sores in Chloes mouth the morning l took her and she peed in my bed and a trace of blood showed up. I think her kidneys were shutting down bc she had been in severe hypokalemia for a week. In the past l could get her going again but this time felt different. I dont know if the tumor grew, spread, or somethig else started to plague her.
I am sorry the vet never caught it. Could of saved you and your baby all that trouble of surgery. But l believe we are all human and make mistakes. Lola and Chloe are a rare team now .

Here is Chloe day before diagnosis in Nov 2016. Classic head tilt from hypokalemia

Attachments

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I also lost my 11 year old baby on January 15th after a battle with what started out as stomatitis last August. After she failed to completely heal following full teeth extraction in August, my vet began to think it was cancer. We never proceeded with a biopsy so, I will never know for sure; sometimes I wish I had done the biopsy for peace of mind since some of her symptoms didn't seem to go along with the cancer cats normally get in their mouths (although a mass finally did appear in January). I spoke with him again last week, and he stated that he thought she had had oral melanoma- which from what I am reading, is rare in cats. So, I know how devastating it is to feel that your baby was among the few to have a "rare" issue going on. I remember thinking the first time he mentioned cancer, that how unlucky could Snuggles have possibly have been- to have dental problems, stomatitis, and cancer. And then to have him tell me it was possibly oral melanoma- I am still trying to absorb that. But you know, whether it is a common disease or a rare disease, the fact remains that there are just some things we cannot control. Medicines might help, surgeries might help, but in the end, we have to let them go when it becomes too much for them- for their sake, not ours.

Anyway, like you, I kept trying everything with Snuggles- hoping that eventually we would prove the vet wrong. And she fought a good battle (we both did), but in the end, I had to do what was best for her. This site was a blessing for me when I had to make that decision, although it still hurts. I come and read some of the stories on here and I see that we all share that pain- in somewhat different ways, but the same gut-wrenching pain nonetheless. You tried so hard for your baby and if that isn't love, I don't know what is. Like many mentioned to me when I posted about my loss, you made the ultimate sacrifice- you chose to take the pain away from her and made it your own.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :redheartpump::redheartpump:
I agree sometimes the hardest decisions in life are the most painful. We cannot control situations. Just like people get rare diseases or babies die from cancer sometimes it is what it is. I feel blessed Chloe gave me more time. I also am happy l followed my heart and gave her some time. Had l not then l would of lost out on a great 15 mos. Because l know l gave her extra love, cuddles and time knowing she was sick.
I have so many pics of her that l will hold and cherish. I lost 2 cats in 2005 within 6 months. One from cancer other hit by car. My world collapsed. I swore l would never function again but l did. I swore l would never get another cat but over years got 3. So as hard as it is now l know in time l will be ablw to smile again. And knowing that hoepfully we get a beautiful reunion someday keeps me going.

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry about your Chloe. Such a hard thing, yet love does not allow others to suffer. Hugs to you and may you find comfort in knowing that she is now free to run and play. I have a picture of my Abbey doing what she loved best, chasing birds, and that’s how I want to remember her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Chloe, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

You know, love does not die. It changes form, but it remains, it abides, and it is still love. In so many ways, Chloe has not left. She has simply, with your loving assistance, taken off that coat of flesh that could no longer support her great heart and gentle spirit. And now she waits patiently for you to dance upon the air with her in joyous reunion. Until then, she leaves her love next to you, always.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. 16 though is a great life. I will be honest if Chloe was over age 12 l may have not even considered surgery but she was only 9.5 years old and that is so young for a cat.
I think that cats are never too old to go. I did what I did for Lola when she was 16, I would have done the same thing if she was 26.
In my case I know I dd whatever was in my power, those who failed were the vets. They missed the diganosis for two months in the first place. Then they (different vets) didn't see the oral cancer.
My cat died for their incompetence!

Yes, Lola and Chloe are members of a rare team.
The tilted head, especially when the head hungs down while the cat is standing or sitting, typical of hypokalemia, is called ventroflexion.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thread has been closed now.
To answer your question: Yes, I have another cat, she is now the same age Lola was when she died. She's rather fine, suffers from IBD and has been treated with I-131 for her hyperthyroidism.

You can read all my gone cats in my signature, they are 5 so far...