15.5 year old neutered male Siamese Flame Point cat peeing small amounts, seems to be in pain

BTFan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A urine analysis was done yesterday, here is a link: . Also attaching it as well as bloodwork from 2 months ago.

Cat is urinating small amounts frequently, seems to be in pain (scooting, licking genital area).

Vet prescribed antibiotics, so I've been giving them to him since yesterday afternoon, no improvement yet. Based on the analysis, what do you think? Is this just a UTI? I know those are rare, I'm mostly worried about something more serious. Please let me know, I would love a second opinion. Very worried owner here!

• Species: Cat
  • Sex/Neuter status: Male
  • Breed: Siamese Flame Point
  • Body weight: 10.2 lbs
  • History: none urinary related, bloodwork done in March came back clean
  • Clinical signs: Cat is urinating small amounts frequently, seems to be in pain (scooting, looking genital area).
  • Duration: started May 15
  • Your general location: Canada

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I can't answer to the test results, but is he being given pain meds?

What are you feeding him?

Did the vet give you an idea of how long the antibiotics will take to address the problem?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BTFan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for your reply. How can I edit my original post? I can't seem to figure it out.
No pain meds, just antibiotics. He is currently eating Hills Sensitive Stomach kibble

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You won't be able to edit until you've been a member for a bit longer, but anyway, can you ask the vet for pain medicine?

Can you start feeding him canned food, and add a little water to it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The Urine Specific Gravity is low, the PH is low - but those results you provided do not indicate the ranges, so that is a big factor in what is or is not considered out of range. The first one, if out of range for what I know, means dilute urine, which can be tied to kidney issues, but your test results indicate numbers that are 'in range'. Low PH can be tied to diarrhea, and even diabetes, for an example.

At this point, I think you need to consider talking to the vet about some additional tests, specifically a urinary tract ultrasound - there could be a semi-blockage going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BTFan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet prescribed the antibiotics and also asked to add canned food to his diet. I tried but he's super picky. Some he didn't even want to try, others he vomits. So yes I will definitely do that, I just need to find the right one.

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition to what everyone else said, cats can get painful urination from stress, just like it was a UTI, but you should not assume that's what this is. (Let the vet work the problem).

I have a cat that every 2 weeks was like this for a few days, with blood in her urine, this happening for over a year, and it was stress. I put up 2 elaborate cat trees and my husband and I give her the princess treatment, and over time, she relapses maybe every other month now for a couple days.

Good luck getting this figured out.