14 week old kitten diarrhoea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayhuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ended up mixing the food that makes him constipated and the food that gave diarrhoea, which is wet and dry food, and that seems to go well. I’ve tried to transition him to fully wet but any changes seems to ruin his poop consistency so will just stick with what works for now 🙂

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes do what keeps him regular for now. When you are trying to transition him are you doing it very gradually?
For example 75% old food and 25% new food for a week or longer until he is completely used this combination with no tummy upset. Keep going lowering the amount of old food over next few weeks as such...
Then go to 50% old and 50% new
75% new food 50% old food
All the way until he is completely transitioned

If you find you need to smaller percentages then so be it. You can even do it by 10ths..
Just take it slow. I hope this helps..

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ended up mixing the food that makes him constipated and the food that gave diarrhoea, which is wet and dry food, and that seems to go well. I’ve tried to transition him to fully wet but any changes seems to ruin his poop consistency so will just stick with what works for now 🙂

my kitten has been off and on with the runny poo. my vet finally just said I never say this to anyone but in this case feed her dry food. he also says we might try to transition her to an adult food that has more fiber because kitten foods have basically no fiber. all of her panels turned up normal.

Rayhuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes do what keeps him regular for now. When you are trying to transition him are you doing it very gradually?
For example 75% old food and 25% new food for a week or longer until he is completely used this combination with no tummy upset. Keep going lowering the amount of old food over next few weeks as such...
Then go to 50% old and 50% new
75% new food 50% old food
All the way until he is completely transitioned

If you find you need to smaller percentages then so be it. You can even do it by 10ths..
Just take it slow. I hope this helps..
my kitten has been off and on with the runny poo. my vet finally just said I never say this to anyone but in this case feed her dry food. he also says we might try to transition her to an adult food that has more fiber because kitten foods have basically no fiber. all of her panels turned up normal.
yep feels like he just has to have dry food. I didn’t know that about kitten food i might ask about adult food next time I see the vet!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep feels like he just has to have dry food. I didn’t know that about kitten food i might ask about adult food next time I see the vet!
This way (if ver approved) you won't have to wait, can you call and speak with the vet about adult food? I just want your little one eating well and not having tummy issues.
Also another thing to consider is maybe he has an intolerance to the food you are trying to switch him to? Just a thought I had.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This way (if ver approved) you won't have to wait, can you call and speak with the vet about adult food? I just want your little one eating well and not having tummy issues.
Also another thing to consider is maybe he has an intolerance to the food you are trying to switch him to? Just a thought I had.

Re: the food intolerance. my vet said that normally if that were the case or allergy you wouldn't have on again off again pooh issues it would jsut be relentless runny pooh. (not sure if that's what ray is going thru or not, but i had the impression his kitten was also on again off again with it. he said you could explore that option if you wanted to but he'd stick with trying to get more fiber and trying adult dry foods first. he said if that doesn't work when she's older we could try ultrasound and possible steroids to heal things if need be but he didn't even want to think down that path until she was older and still having issues. he said most kittens that have this problem and check out clear on the pcr panel have their issues resolve as their gut matures. again.. I'm not a vet and my vet is not rays vet.. so it's just what i've been told regarding my kitten. but that's what he said :)

kitten food just doesn't have any fiber added and it makes some kittens have runny bottoms.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re: the food intolerance. my vet said that normally if that were the case or allergy you wouldn't have on again off again pooh issues it would jsut be relentless runny pooh. (not sure if that's what ray is going thru or not, but i had the impression his kitten was also on again off again with it. he said you could explore that option if you wanted to but he'd stick with trying to get more fiber and trying adult dry foods first. he said if that doesn't work when she's older we could try ultrasound and possible steroids to heal things if need be but he didn't even want to think down that path until she was older and still having issues. he said most kittens that have this problem and check out clear on the pcr panel have their issues resolve as their gut matures. again.. I'm not a vet and my vet is not rays vet.. so it's just what i've been told regarding my kitten. but that's what he said :)

kitten food just doesn't have any fiber added and it makes some kittens have runny bottoms.
Ok thank you. 🙂 I think I misunderstood (I did read through pretty quickly as I was doing things) I thought it was an issue when trying to switch his food.
Again thank you

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you. 🙂 I think I misunderstood (I did read through pretty quickly as I was doing things) I thought it was an issue when trying to switch his food.
Again thank you

oh yah know I could be the one who mis understood. never know lol. I assume its the same issue I'm having because I know its been ongoing with rays kitten for the last month or so. he's been having this issue as long as I have it seems (basically the entire time I've had drusilla since beginning of june)

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh yah know I could be the one who mis understood. never know lol. I assume its the same issue I'm having because I know its been ongoing with rays kitten for the last month or so. he's been having this issue as long as I have it seems (basically the entire time I've had drusilla since beginning of june)
Whichever it is, I hope his little Ray and your little Drusilla both get situated and the tummy issues end very soon for the both of them. 🙂😺

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whichever it is, I hope his little Ray and your little Drusilla both get situated and the tummy issues end very soon for the both of them. 🙂😺

after reading ray's thread about possible anal prolapse surgery it's not what my baby is going thru. much more serious. dunno what is causing it for him, but I hope his lil baby gets better soon :(

drusilla has mostly been better with s boulardi and more dry food in her diet. we had a scare with distemper in june but thank god that was just a live vaccine issue.

Rayhuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I’m looking for a new vet tbh as they haven’t been very helpful with any of it. I suspect it could be a food intolerance as he has some minor skin issues too. But I’m scared to change his food incase that makes matters worse again. I’m feeding half wet and half dry, I tried to transition to fully wet but that makes him constipated now. Because he had so much diarrhea the first week that may have caused the anal prolapse or it could have been because he was neutered too young.