11 Months Old

blueandpink .

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I been here before for one of my cats, our lovely (and wild lately) black kitten Sirius.
For starters he was the sweetest kitten but now (1/2 months ago) he became more wild? I'm not sure if that's the word. He bites, threats with his claws, is more aggressive with our older cat, and avoid any contact with us.
Except when is bedtime and he sleeps around my hand in his bed right next to me.
He is healthy and we never treated him badly(God forbid). I know that in some cases it's just a face, but I'm worried.
There's something I can do to help him? Is that his character now?
pD: don't be afraid to tell me what you really think about it, he's not in danger of going to another house even if that's his character now. When we brought Sirius into our home was for a lifetime and it will be just like that.
PPD: he "talk" a lot
15178465397101907990436.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is ADORABLE!!!

A few questions, how old is he? Is he neutered?

When exactly does he bite? Does he draw blood? What is his body language? Tail swishing fast? Ears back? Etc

What is his relationship with the older cat? Does he fight with the older cat? Does the older cat act differently? Walk differently? Avoid places? Etc.

How does he walk around? Tail position? Body position? Does he avoid areas? Does he hide?

A few things. Cats don't like being approached from above their head. Also, we want to avoid initiating contact with the cat and let the cat initiate contact. Also, cats take on our emotions so we want to be very calm and confident around the cat as possible. If we are nervous or worried or stressed they pick up on it and their instincts can go into "protective" mode.

Also, play is very important in helping cats build confidence and use some energy. So I like to step up play with a cat. Make the toy act like prey (a mouse or a bird it depends on what the cat likes to hunt) and then feed after play wither treats or a meal.

Also, we want to make sure the encounters with the older cat are as positive as possible. We want them to build positive associations using food and encounters where there is no chasing, fighting etc. We distract if a negative encounter might happen by using food, calling their name in a calm and confident (not yelling) way, and using a toy to distract.

I know there is a lot here but once I understand the situation better we can figure this out. But we can get through this. Cats only attack if they are worried about their safety typically so we can do things to build trust and confidence and help him feel secure so he is less likely to bite.

Let me know, I am happy to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueandpink .

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and thank you.
He's 11 months old, and he's neutered since 4 months, never bite too hard but you know, bite.
His relationship with our older neutered cat is very good, they eat side to side, clean each other, but in the play time Sirius sometimes gets a little to hard
We play with him, and he also play alone running to one side to the other jumping high. Until he fell sleep hidden behind the curtains.
His tail is always up(like the first photo ) we never yell at him (he was always a scared kitten) he doesn't hide anymore (he stopped around 7/8 months ).
And he approach to us with loud mews till we pet him. But suddenly he goes away and act super "hiper" / distant.
I always approach to him, like petting his head when I go from one room to another and he always purr at that, but now that doesn't happen so maybe he needs his own space a little more than before

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

Ok, this is helpful and sounds positive.

It is not surprising that he has so much energy. So keep playing with him as much as possible. After play feeed treats or a meal.

Also, look at adding things that he can run around going up and down etc. So things like cat trees, cat tunnels, cat shelving. Things that he can burn some of his energy. Also, if you can have things by windows that he can safely look outside that can be helpful. So a cat tree that can't fall into the window, or window perches, etc. Also, toys that don't require human interaction. I love to use balls that they can bat around on the floor (but can't get their nails in and throw them around breaking things).

Also, let the cat initiate contact. He may want to be more independent. Don't force him to do anything or love on him etc.

And use treats and food to build that bond (which you obviously already have with him). Talk calmly, confidently, and lovingly with him.

Keep encouraging positive encounters with him and the other cat (and positive associations). Make sure they both have enough comfy and warm bedding, scratching posts, and cat trees.

He sounds pretty normal for a young cat. Cats have different personalities so let's see how he does.

Don't worry, I am here if you need any help. We'll figure things out. Always feel free to ask anything anytime. Happy to help.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He may just be going through a teenage phase, and Calicosrspecial gave lots of good advice! I'm not sure
I have much to add, except thank you for being a cat owner who believes in committing fully to a cat. I really
wholeheartedly believe in that, too.

blueandpink .

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

Ok, this is helpful and sounds positive.

It is not surprising that he has so much energy. So keep playing with him as much as possible. After play feeed treats or a meal.

Also, look at adding things that he can run around going up and down etc. So things like cat trees, cat tunnels, cat shelving. Things that he can burn some of his energy. Also, if you can have things by windows that he can safely look outside that can be helpful. So a cat tree that can't fall into the window, or window perches, etc. Also, toys that don't require human interaction. I love to use balls that they can bat around on the floor (but can't get their nails in and throw them around breaking things).

Also, let the cat initiate contact. He may want to be more independent. Don't force him to do anything or love on him etc.

And use treats and food to build that bond (which you obviously already have with him). Talk calmly, confidently, and lovingly with him.

Keep encouraging positive encounters with him and the other cat (and positive associations). Make sure they both have enough comfy and warm bedding, scratching posts, and cat trees.

He sounds pretty normal for a young cat. Cats have different personalities so let's see how he does.

Don't worry, I am here if you need any help. We'll figure things out. Always feel free to ask anything anytime. Happy to help.
I'm going to put in action some items you named and give him a time, to see how are we going without rushing.
I'll update.
Again thank you very much

Last edited:

blueandpink .

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He may just be going through a teenage phase, and Calicosrspecial gave lots of good advice! I'm not sure
I have much to add, except thank you for being a cat owner who believes in committing fully to a cat. I really
wholeheartedly believe in that, too.
I wouldn't have it in any other way. Love them too much and being honest, nobody is perfect so why put that weight on our cars backs ?

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome.

Don't worry, this isn't too bad so we can improve things. We'll get through this.

Please ask anything anytime and share any update. Always here for you.

And I second Etarre's appreciation for your love and dedication to your cat!