10 weeks old kittens peeing everywhere

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am fostering a sibling group of 4 kittens. They came from a hoarding type situation and all had URIs and diarrhea and were very underweight. They have been on meds for the URIs and diarrhea and are feeling a lot better. They are pooping in the litterboxes and sometimes peeing there. But about half the time they just pee where ever they want. . .corner of the room, bed, blanket, etc. At first I thought it was just that they were sick, but they are clearly feeling better and still doing it.

3 are boys and they do it the most. . .are the old enough to already want to pee for marking? Any thoughts on how to curb this? They are going to be adopted out in another week or so once they are healthy and been neutered. . .but I don't want to adopt out kittens who don't use a litter box well. I feel this would lead to their owners returning them. :(

I have two litter boxes in their room, one with corn litter and one with newspaper pellets. I am going to try clay too although I usually avoid it. Would the little attract stuff be ok for kittens? I have removed the bed and blankets from the room, but sometimes, it's just on the floor. :/

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 10 weeks it's too early for hormonal marking. I expect these guys just don't understand about the box. I would confine them in an easily cleanable space with no soft things like blankets / pillows to pee on, and I would go all out with the most attractive litter possible like "kitten attract." I agree that you want them to be more reliable about using the box before going to their new owners.

As far as clumping clay, Furballsmom Furballsmom do you really think it's a danger at 10 weeks? I normally switch our kittens to regular clumping clay around 5-6 weeks or whenever they are eating solid food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you both! I usually start with newspaper pellets and then transition to a clumping corn litter when they are a bit older. . .but yeah, I think these guys just didn't get a good start with their training.

I hate to use clay litter at all. . .so I am not trying that yet. But I did order some kitten attract type and yet another litter box. So they are now in one room (well they always were just in the one room) with no beds or blankets and 4 boxes with multiple types of litter. For some reason they tend to pee in the puppy pee pads that I leave around. . .which is good in that is in't getting on my floor, but also I want them to pee in the box! But it seems to be slowly getting better. 🤞

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe experiment with puppy pee pads in one of the boxes - see if they like that and it could possibly help transition them...? Someone also mentioned (I don't remember who) to take a used pee pad and put it in one of the other boxes. If that seems to help direct them, keep dong that 'til they become a little clearer in their heads :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they like the puppy pee pads, you could try putting the pee pads in litter boxes... then adding some litter on top...?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Small room only with 2-3 litter boxes, pine litter is fine or kitten attract only. No clumping litter at all. Then once they have mastered going you can let them out supervised only and move a litter box out of the room in the living area. Kittens have small bladders and tiny memories. I always suggest having them sleep in the sanctuary room overnight. It helps with the training for sure.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI, Kitten Attract actually is a clumping litter... I don't personally think that is a problem for ten week old kittens, but for folks warning against clumping litter while simultaneously recommending Kitten Attract, it might be a little confusing to the reader.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah I forgot kitten attract was clumping haven't used it in a long while lol. You can mix pine and kitten attract. Just a small amount can help in a low sided litter box.