10 Week Orphan Is So Finicky I'm Afraid She Is Starving.

Bitsymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been on KMR since I rescued her at 4 weeks old. She is now 10 weeks and is so finicky I'm afraid she will starve. She will eat a little plain cooked lean meat but NOTHING ELSE. She sleeps a lot but is very active when she is awake.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try Gerber baby food meats (no onions, garlic, etc.), to see if that will help jump start her eating. And, for whatever reason, it seems that some cats will eat better off of a paper plate when they are reluctant to eat.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has given excellent advice. and some cats get "whisker fatigue" (basically the same as a special needs child being "tactile defensive"). The nutrition in the KMR is very complete so she should be getting what she needs. Since cats can conceive on different days (they ovulate after mating) as well as have delayed birth, she may have been born early and will need a little extra time to develop.
Our member Hissy, a veteran kitten rescuer from before the YouTube era, has an excellent website: www.kitten-rescue.com.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try Gerber baby food meats (no onions, garlic, etc.), to see if that will help jump start her eating. And, for whatever reason, it seems that some cats will eat better off of a paper plate when they are reluctant to eat.
Thanks so much. I will try that for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YES!! She ate Gerber strained Ham and loved it. I discovered she likes scrambled eggs and avocados too. I pray things get more normal over time but for now she is doing well. She delights me and my husband so much. Thanks a bunch.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is good news! But, you might want to back off on the avocados as I thought the persin that is in most avacados can be toxic to a cat if given too much of it. Small amounts are OK, so as you get her to eat other safe foods, you might want to leave the avocado as a occasional special treat.

Hope additional foods are in her immediate future!!