10 Week Old Cat Not Using Her Litter Box

RagdollCatLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my mom, brother and I split on buying a Ragdoll cat recently, after losing my 10 year old cat to kidney failure. When we adopted this 10 week old kitten, this was by a reputable breeder whos cats have won awards in I believe pageants. We were told she was litter trained, which according to my mom was using a litter box similar to the one we have now. We got the buyers phone number for questions to for when we got our kitten, which she suggested keeping her in the bathroom with the cat litter and I assume is because kittens are curious so hopefully she will decide to see what that cat litter box is? Current issues is she already pee'd in the corner of my moms room on this cat scratch post area and the couch we let her sleep on when watching TV. My thoughts are because she's so new and doesn't know our home well, that because she's so small she can't even see inside the cat litter without jumping in that maybe she has no idea we have a cat litter? Even though the owner was using a litter box similar the one we got. But again my thoughts are is she's still new and getting to know the place, so she has no idea that it's a cat litter that we have in the room. My mom plans on buying the litter she used, since my mom has been using the old stuff my cat uses. Also a note that I have put her inside the cat litter a few times, which she just jumps right out.

We were told to keep her in one room (We choose my moms) for 5 days before letting her explore more, but after letting her sleep on the couch we we monitored her she got used to us. So the second day we let her out of the room to explore the main floor a bit. Maybe it wasn't a good idea just yet, till she used her cat litter.

TLDR: Is my cat not using the litter because it might be too big for her to see inside? Even though she used a litter box similar to the one that the seller had? Considering she's new and getting used to everything, I kind of think that she has no idea it's there, even though I've put her in our litter box a few times in which she just jumps out of it. Annoying because she's pee'd in 2 areas already, one being on the couch. Right now we're hoping that keeping her in the bathroom instead of my moms full room will work, so she explores the bathroom to see her litter. Just hate keeping her locked up because I don't want her to be scared, but as long as she learns fast to use it. Another thing is we'll be switching the litter to what she used, since we're using the old brand my other cat used.

Pictures of her included, really would appreciate the help as much previous cat never had these issues as a kitten and I just my new kitten to feel safe and at home. I know it's hard on a 10 week year old kitten to go through this, but I hope to solve this issue fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RagdollCatLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fixed typos, can't seem to edit my thread:
Pictures of her included, really would appreciate the help as my previous cat never had these issues as a kitten and I just want my new kitten to feel safe and at home. I know it's hard on a 10 week year old kitten to go through this, but I hope to solve this issue fast.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG she is soo adorable!!! She clearly has some Siamese or Tokenese in her.

A couple of thoughts....
1 - has she *ever* used your litter box? If so, great, we at least have a starting point!!

2 - Clay or crystals? In my experience....clay...EOM

3 - If she does poop somewhere inappropriate, don't discard it right away - move it to her litter instead!!

I really can't imagine a 10wk kitten is "fearful", especially given your pictures. I think something else must be going on...either location of litter box or type/kind of litter in use....

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a wee baby. I would kitten proof one room with a door and make it her room. Her litter, water, toys, scratching post & food go in that room. If you are not awake to supervise, she is in that room. IMO at least until they are 4 months old. You would be amazed what kittens get into! They climb curtains, chew on blinds, play with blind cords, chew on electric cords, get behind electronic things, get under fridges, behind dryers & under lazy boys!

I would go to my local pet store & buy a cheap square plastic litter box & non clumping litter (kittens eat litter:barfgreen:) If she has trouble climbing into the box, cut a square halfway down the side so she can go in. Fill the box with a couple of inches on non clumping litter. After you feed her some nice wet food, place her in the litter box. I have even dug into the litter using 2 fingers on each hand to simulate the cat using their paws to dig in the litter. If she has any accidents, don't panic, it happens. Clean it up with an enzyme cleaner .. if it is #2 I would stick it in the litter box, so she knows what it is for. When the kittens start exploring the house I give them an extra box in the house (and maybe a box for each level of the house plus the box in her room.)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Condolences on the loss of your 10 year old cat. :alright: RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

Congrats on adopting your new little kitten. She is paws-itively gorgeous. :catlove:

I agree with danteshuman danteshuman , get a low sided litter box and non-clumping litter and re-introduce her to the litter box.

Here's a link with more info: Litter Training

RagdollCatLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG she is soo adorable!!! She clearly has some Siamese or Tokenese in her.

A couple of thoughts....
1 - has she *ever* used your litter box? If so, great, we at least have a starting point!!

2 - Clay or crystals? In my experience....clay...EOM

3 - If she does poop somewhere inappropriate, don't discard it right away - move it to her litter instead!!

I really can't imagine a 10wk kitten is "fearful", especially given your pictures. I think something else must be going on...either location of litter box or type/kind of litter in use....
Thanks for the reply, I wouldn't be surprised if she had Siamese in Her!

1: She has apparently used the litter at her original home, but her be one. With her new location in the bathroom (That I would like to keep in there for a few days) I'm hoping will get her exploring around to see her cat litter and food. Last night I spent some time with her in the washroom and because she has no places to hide and be shy, she was so loving towards me and saw her eating her food. So it's nice she's getting more comfortable!

2: I'm not exactly sure the stuff my mom used for my old cat since that is what we're using, but the original owner used something that will clump the litter for her. I'd guess clay maybe, because I find when putting her in the litter at times that it gets on her fur so I got to brush it out.

3: I haven't seen her poop yet and we had her for almost 4 days now, she had pee'd. I don't smell any mystery surprises anyways aside from the pee, definitely going to soak up by per or pickup any poo and place in the litter as 3 people suggested it is and it makes sense!

Anyways she maybe was more shy and playful than fearful perhaps, I think she was just scared yesterday when I tried getting her to put back in the bathroom which is understandable.

She is a wee baby. I would kitten proof one room with a door and make it her room. Her litter, water, toys, scratching post & food go in that room. If you are not awake to supervise, she is in that room. IMO at least until they are 4 months old. You would be amazed what kittens get into! They climb curtains, chew on blinds, play with blind cords, chew on electric cords, get behind electronic things, get under fridges, behind dryers & under lazy boys!

I would go to my local pet store & buy a cheap square plastic litter box & non clumping litter (kittens eat litter:barfgreen:) If she has trouble climbing into the box, cut a square halfway down the side so she can go in. Fill the box with a couple of inches on non clumping litter. After you feed her some nice wet food, place her in the litter box. I have even dug into the litter using 2 fingers on each hand to simulate the cat using their paws to dig in the litter. If she has any accidents, don't panic, it happens. Clean it up with an enzyme cleaner .. if it is #2 I would stick it in the litter box, so she knows what it is for. When the kittens start exploring the house I give them an extra box in the house (and maybe a box for each level of the house plus the box in her room.)
I responded to the reply above which may answer some of what you've asked. Anyways we have now been keeping her in the bathroom when we're not around to monitor her, her toys, food and litter box is kept in the bathroom. When I came home from work today, my mom mentioned she pee'd in her bed this time which was sad to hear. BUT GOOD NEWS!: She finally used the cat litter!!! We figured she had to use the washroom since she acted weird, when putting her in the litter it did nothing. Until I tried the technique suggested above to dig with my fingers, which sparked her interest! I didn't see her poo at all since tuesday when we got her, she then used the washroom after I showed her what to do! Biggest smile on my face to see her go, now she meow'd ALOT when going poo and I hope this is normal. Unless because she didn't poo for a few days, that it got hard and was difficult for her to go. Another great positive note is when we let her roam the main floor she was behaving, but the really awesome thing is I heard digging and when I went to check she was walking out of the shower (Where we have the cat litter)! So it tells me she was doing this on her own, not sure if she went pee that time but it shows that she knows the appropriate area to use the washroom! I still plan to put her in the litter from time to time while she's still young, just so she knows where to go.

Anyways I hope she wont decide to eat any clumps of litter, I plan to have another cat litter outside of her room on the main floor as well! Thanks so much everyone for the warm welcome and positive replies, expect a thread with some more pictures of my kitten!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she is using her litter box. Don’t worry about the meowing while pooing. It is something many kittens do and eventually outgrow.

RagdollCatLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise