10 Month Old Kitten Sleepy/Uninterested

TheCook12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a 10 month old kitten that is sleeping a lot and has become less interested in food/play. I'm not sure I'd use the word lethargic yet. He has had quite the medical history already seeing three different vets in his life all for pneumonia. It's been four months since we had had any issues with that and he seemed healthy and full of life. Before I go any further I am calling another vet in the morning. Within the last week we noticed he started sleeping under his cat tower instead of on the top. Which I know is a pain/weakness response which is alarming. He is eating less food. He is on Nutro Kibble Essentials for kittens. Then twice a day he gets wet food. He has always been incredibly picky so I'm limited. Right now his favorite are Nutro Pate (chicken or chicken liver) and the Tiki Cat chicken mousse. The only thing he is still inhaling are his raw freeze dried salmon treats and his liquid treat pouches. The rest his picks at but never commits. I called a vet when this started. They stated that it was normal for them to start slowing down around this age. I have a hard time believing that he would slow down this much.

He is hydrated and still meeting us at the door and when we wake up in the morning. Just sleeping a lot. Its hard to get him to play for 5 minutes. We used to play for 30+ minutes at a time. He is peeing normal pee from what I can tell. He isn't pooing a lot (1 time per day) but he also isn't eating a lot either. I'm calling a vet that saw him the first time he had pneumonia; before I got him, tomorrow. Any suggestions for tests that I should beg for them to run? Suggestions I should bring up? Regardless, he will end up with at least a check up. I googled it (worst idea) and kidney and heart issues were at the top of the list. I initially accepted the original vets advice until he didn't even react when I prepared his pate last night and this morning. He is still eating some kibble and eventually picked at the pate. All of our cats in the past have been incredible healthy. The poor little guy has been through so much yet he is so young.

Thank you for any advice.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry your little kitten isn't feeling the best. Do you remember how he acted before he got sick with pneumonia before? Has he been coughing at all, or does he pant easily if he plays? With his history of having pneumonia, I would ask the vet to make sure his lungs are clear and then go from there. Has the vet you're calling seen him at all? If not, given his history, they may want to call for his records so they get a clear picture of what his medical history is like.
If he's inhaling the treats and pouch treats, I'd give them a little more liberally to keep him eating until you know what to do to help him feel better and start eating his regular food.
I had a cat who was sick on and off a lot, and one of the first signs he wasn't feeling well was he would lay at the bottom of his cat tree near the floor vs. up on the top like he usually did. It sounds like you have a very sharp and trained eye for seeing the little things he does when he's not feeling his best. I hope he's feeling better soon!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in a very similar situation with a cat of almost the exact same age. Took her to the vet and they did and xray and are running some blood work. If you think he's "off" then take him to the vet. Like with yours, these signs/symptoms are very vague and could be almost anything! Have to at least start some investigating. I wish you luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheCook12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you all for your replies so far. About a half and hour after I made this post he looked painful. I panicked and now we are at an emergency animal hospital. All vitals are good. They are running bloodwork now. I’m hoping that show something. I’m a little worried that the anxiety may be masking symptoms. It’s going to be a late night. I will update with any findings and look into some of your ideas.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hope they can find something so your little guy starts feeling better! Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheCook12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

My precious boy was diagnosed with Immune-Medicated Hemolytic Anemia. There were a couple outliers on his bloodwork but this is our best bet for now. Thankfully, he is home tonight. He is on a combination of meds to give him the best shot at recovery. We have to keep him extra quiet. His body is telling him he is tired, but we are going to give him a nice set up in a XXL dog create for while we are at work. Countless vet visits in the next days and weeks. Wish I listened to my gut sooner. Trying everything we can to give him the best chance at survival. ♥

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you have a direction now with some treatments and such. I should be getting our kitten's blood results back today. I will hope you kitten makes a fast and complete recovery! Kittens can do that!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update:

My precious boy was diagnosed with Immune-Medicated Hemolytic Anemia. There were a couple outliers on his bloodwork but this is our best bet for now. Thankfully, he is home tonight. He is on a combination of meds to give him the best shot at recovery. We have to keep him extra quiet. His body is telling him he is tired, but we are going to give him a nice set up in a XXL dog create for while we are at work. Countless vet visits in the next days and weeks. Wish I listened to my gut sooner. Trying everything we can to give him the best chance at survival. ♥
If he's home, hopefully that means the vets are optimistic he will make a full recovery. :hugs: Keeping him confined is probably a great idea so he doesn't accidentally over do it with the activity. You did listen to your gut, and took him in when you realized things weren't right and now you have a diagnosis and treatment options. ❤