10 day old runt losing weight.

Osmanthuswhine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my darling had a litter of 5 on the 27th.They were all gaining very well but I noticed yesterday that the runt had stagnated at 128g. We thought maybe the other kittens were pushing him out of the way when feeding so made absolutely sure that he fed a good amount last night and it seems like he really struggles to latch. We tried to give him lactol but he absolutely refused to take this. This morning his weight had dropped to 119g, I immediately offered the lactol and he actually attempted to drink it. I think we maybe managed about 10mls and his weight went up to 129g. Should I be worried?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try with goats milk, raw or full fat from the shell. He perhaps likes the taste better?

Also, if he struggles to latch, you try with giving a dropled of white caro syrup (or other glucose sugar source) on his gum, inside the lip... This gives quick energhy, and perhaps gives strengh enough to latch and suckle properly...

But yeah, you must be up on toes with him. Weighting every 12 hours, etc...

Good you DID weight every day, its the easiest way to notice something is amiss.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feeding with a syringe or bottle? Syringe is best if the tiny is not latching. Go drop by drop. Allow kitten to swallow and breathe between drops. Feed tummy down. Give 1-2mLs every 1-2 hours round the clock. Point is to get kitten stronger and suckling on its own again. Order Miracle Nipples from Amazon.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Osmanthuswhine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice everyone. We took him to the vet today as we were very concerned and they said he has hydrocephalus. They said he has a very very slim chance to survive if we keep on hand rearing him but it's not looking good. I am absolutely devastated, I've never heard of a kitten surviving with hydrocephalus :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why do they think he has this condition? It is very uncommon. Continue feeding him as you have. He may overcome this. I think it is too soon to know. Blessings, and do not give up yet.

Last edited: