1 Year Old Cat Showing Aggression

OniandDiablo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 male cats, one that’s about a year old and the younger one is about 6 months old. My older cat is a little bit frisky but they have always got along great! But A few nights ago I woke up at 5am to this terrible shrieking in the living room. I get up and realize that both of my cats have gotten into a little bit of a scuffle. But by the time I get to the living room they are separated but my older cat is still growling, so I grab my younger cat and put him in my room to separate them. When I get back to check on my older cat he has managed to crawl under the couch but he is still hissing and freaking out. He was making low rumbling noises and then he starts, basically yelling. He wouldn’t stop! It would start out low and then he would get louder and louder. This went on for about 5 minutes. I thought he was hurt so I coaxed him out from under the couch with his food. He’s stopped yowling and comes out he’s completely fine. No limping, nothing. I let out my younger cat and they are fine. I decide to go back to my room but right before I fall back asleep I hear them again. And the same thing happens. I decide that my older cat will just sleep in the room with me.

This only happens at night. It’ll even happen when my younger cat isn’t even near him. They’re fine all day long and then something just clicks with my older cat and he gets really upset. Could this be because he’s not neutered? and if it is why is this happening all of a sudden? He has never showed aggression like this before. Also my older cat is outside/inside cat (I’m not sure if that matters).

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where are they, in relation to each other? Not just when fighting, but during the day. Is one keeping to the edges of a room, and the other occupying the middle?

It sounds like your older boy is having a very strong territorial reaction....and I can only assume it is because his younger housemate is now sexually mature. I do NOT like that the older cat was hiding under the couch.....that seems like a complete surrender of territory to the younger male.

Does the older cat still respond to toys? If so, do that...a lot, for the next couple of weeks, and see how things are.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could this be because he’s not neutered? and if it is why is this happening all of a sudden? He has never showed aggression like this before. Also my older cat is outside/inside cat
Yes, this could be a big part of the reason. The hormones make them more volatile. Hiding under the couch sounds like fear to me not aggression. Since you don't see the start of the fight it is possible the youngster is the aggressor, especially if they are both unneutered. If you are able to it would be in his best interest to get him neutered. Roaming around intact makes it more likely that he could get into fights out in the world and sustain life threatening injuries. He is also out there making kittens who will more than likely be homeless.

Since it's happening at night you're doing the right thing by keeping them separated at that time. Even if they have to take turns spending the night in your room until 2-3 wks after neutering. Before bed have big play sessions with them. If it makes them fight do it in separate rooms. Then a final meal before bed. Hopefully they will be tired and sleep most of the night and not try to get at each other through the door.

I know how frightening a cat fight can be. Plan ahead by having a blanket or large piece of cardboard on hand to place between them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry about your older cat's sudden aggression. It certainly could be related to the fact that he's not neutered, but it also could be re-directed aggression from something he may have seen or heard from outside.

Are both cats unneutered? If so, it probably would be wise to make appointments for them asap, especially now that the kitten is older. You definitely don't want either of them to start territorial spraying in your house.

TCS has some articles on both neutering, and aggression, that may be helpful. Here are the links:

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

Re-directed Aggression In Cats
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neuter or keep separate at all times.
Depending on your location, low cost clinics are sickeningly cheap when it comes to neuters on cats and likely can be done very inexpensively.
But neutering doesn't mean the issues will stop immediately the day after neutering, it'll take a few weeks or months for the hormones to die down.
Do it soon, before these cats get it into their heads that they absolutely hate one another!