1 kitten = lonely kitten?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to add on behalf of the rescue you got Calvin from. I have dealt with this before too, feeling like they are not happy with you because you didn't choose the cat/kitten they picked for you. But, really they do understand that people are picking a cat for a lifetime and they want it to feel right and be the right fit for you and your existing cats at home. Because, if you don't feel good about the cat from the start, chances are it won't work when you get home, and they will be getting a call from you, which they don't want!! Sometimes, these adoption counselors, or even volunteers are so busy and have so much work to do that they come off sounding cold and leave the potential adopters wondering what they did wrong?? Well, nothing. They could be having a bad and very demanding day at the rescue as most are understaffed. So don't feel bad like you can't contact Calvin's rescue even though you got a new kitten from someone else. Truly, they don't mind and just move on to the next potential adopter. I am sure they would love to hear about how Calvin is doing with his new brother and would like a letter or picture for their bulletin board.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, sitting on the floor is GREAT. In fact, taking a nap in there is a wonderful idea (nothing less scary than a sleeping human).

Yawning, stretching - all good things. Especially if you're sideways to him and he can watch you.

Also, when you reach your hand toward him, hold your hand in a fist. It looks like a cat head, and is far less threatening to a cat than an open hand. You can also use baby food on a spoon - a hand with yummy treats in it is good too.
That said - we didn't try to force or rush the process, and we waited until they came to us. There's different thinking on this, and it's often hard to be patient and wait for them to come around. But a wand toy, at his age, is probably far more likely to entice him out from under the bed than a hand.

And yeah, removing the bed frame so there is no under the bed is a great idea. But we always let them have some hidey places - ESPECIALLY the crate you'll use to get him to and from the vet.
If the crate is his safe place, it works for all of you.

But if you're going to leave the bed there, I'd throw a box under it. And if there's a table in the room, maybe drape a cloth over it. And maybe put another box out with a flap down for him to have as a hidey place. The safer he feels, the quicker he won't need hidey places.

Another trick is leaving treats behind in the place you were sitting. It'll smell like you and be warm - and then he'll associate your smell with good stuff.

Also, get a t-shirt REALLY good and sweaty. Put it under his food dish.

You might want to get Feliway spray or the diffuser if you can afford it. This helps "de-stress" scared kitties.
Just don't plug it in near his boxes, or don't spray near the litter boxes.

I just remembered a new thing we did when introducing Chumley to our crew. He was separated entirely - we live in an RV and have no place to segregate a kitty, so we put him in a rented trailer. BUT apart from bringing blankets he'd been sleeping on over here, and blankets our kitties had been sleeping on over there (and letting everyone smell and investigate), we also brought over a poop and a pee occassionally and put them in the litter box! Might sound crazy - but we wanted them to get used to the scent of him being in their spots.

Now this I would not do that until you're sure he has no parasites (and honestly, I wouldn't bother paying for a fecal, I'd just have him treated with Revolution - it's a topical that treats for fleas, flea eggs, ticks, round worm and heart worm). But as poop and pee are both territorial markers, we figured getting over that scent hump would go a long way to smooth intros.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great ideas! We will get the bed frame off tomorrow and DH takes a nap after he returns home from work and we just discussed that he can do that in the guestroom on the mattress on the floor tomorrow. Did not want to do it today since we still do not have a hiding place for him. We have boxes from our move this summer and planning to use one with a cover. I can get the feliway - was planning to get it for Calvin more but am sure NK needs it too. I do not know if I can afford to plug in separate ones in every room but I can get the spray to have it on multiple rooms.
So we've been home 6 hours and NK has not eaten anything. We gave him wet, thinking he's come out and eat but that did not happen. He's also not used to wet. The Purina One's in a bowl and it's just laying there. I have some treats that Calvin loves and I left some for this kid - nearly touched his nose with it - nothing - it's still lying there. I will get the Feliway tomorrow morning. My concern is he not eating/ drinking.
Also nk is already on revolution and his foster mom gave him a dose right before we left

At times we feel perhaps we should have got a kitten from a rescue like the one Calvin came from where the kitties were very well socialized and then when we were at this place, we just loved those 3 and had to bring home 1.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So NK's been at home since 16 hours. Has not touched his kibbles, wet food- stinky, fishy fancy feast, water or litter box. Do not know if he's eliminated under the bed where he's taken refuge
.I am so worried. I expected him to eat when he were not around. Even left a bit of food under the bed but went untouched. I dont want to traumatize him further by taking him to the vet today. Am sad for the little one. Kept a night light and radio on. I wish he would eat

Spoke to the vet's office. They want to see NK sooner than later and so we head over there in about an hour. It will not be fun getting him to come out and be in his carrier. But since he's sneezing and I heard a couple of "heaves", it may not be the best idea to wait. Calvin's safety is important here, too. I just hope the little kitty is not feeling unwell - added that to the stress of a new environment and another kitty hissing at him, he may not be in the best place right now. He's just such a sweetheart. It's cute to watch his white paws under the bed. I was there a while back, lying on the floor (his eye level) and playing sudoku on my phone.
Any ideas of how I can make his transfer to the carrier the least traumatic?