Heart question - please respond

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a heart condition called an aortic aneurysm, and have had weird heart stuff happening every now and again and was wondering if it was normal or something I should check with my cardiologist. If you could tell me whether you get this or not, I would really appreciate it!

So, every now and again - maybe every few weeks, I feel as though my heart is racing. It only lasts for a couple of seconds, and by the time I find my pulse, it's back to normal. Well, it happened today I managed to actually feel my pulse while it was happening, and it felt fast and erratic. It was back to normal after half a second of feeling it though.

Has this ever happened to you?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only recently it has I feel this weird flutter pretty often but never checked my pulse, it's because of my stress over losing Bella, I have a heart Dr that lives next door I can ask him if this is normal...Maybe you should go get checked out???

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was always under the opinion that an aortic aneurysm was something fatal. I didn't realize it was something that a person could live on with.

Here is some info about aortic aneurysms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortic_aneurysm

Personally, if I had a diagnosed aotric aneurysm, I would be at the doctor at the least little flutter.

Recently, my grandfather was suffereing from heart plapitations and racing heartrate and they found blood was pooling in the ventricles instead of all getting pumped out, so they gave him a pacemaker.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarah, given that you have a heart condition I would see the dr. I know it's a pain, but it's better safe than sorry.... We don't want anything to happen to you!!!

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a heart condition as well, and any kind of issues with my heart, and I'm at the doctors right away to make sure I'm ok-better safe than sorry. It doesn't matter whether any of us have had what you described happen - you're having it happen, and you have a heart condition, so you need to see the doctor ASAP, just to be on the safe side. xx

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would at the very least call the Dr. & explain to the nurse what is going on and get her opinon. I have heart palpatations when I get stressed (or drink too much caffine) and I had a full work up done because the more it happend the more stressed I got & the worse the palpatations got. After I was told everything was fine it went back to happening only rarely.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really didn't think an anuerism and palpatitions were necessarily caused by the same thing - and anuerism is (yikes) a weak spot in a blood vessel which could tear possibly (somewhat like John Ritter) but I get palpitations when I take Sudafed, diet pills, and stimulants like that. Some people need beta blockers when they get palpitations so I would head to the doctor - please?

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you should at least call your doctor and get their opinion. Of course they will probably want you to come in for a check-up, but better safe than sorry of course. Especially with your medical history.

Of course I say this and I take Anya and hubby to the doctor over every little thing, but with myself I'm usually like, "It's no big deal, I don't have to go."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

I was always under the opinion that an aortic aneurysm was something fatal. I didn't realize it was something that a person could live on with.

Here is some info about aortic aneurysms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortic_aneurysm

Personally, if I had a diagnosed aotric aneurysm, I would be at the doctor at the least little flutter.

Recently, my grandfather was suffereing from heart plapitations and racing heartrate and they found blood was pooling in the ventricles instead of all getting pumped out, so they gave him a pacemaker.
An aortic aneurysm is a swelling of part of the aorta, and an aortic dissection is when the aneurysm swells so much that it actually splits/ruptures - that's when things get very dangerous. My dad and aunt (brother and sister) both died from dissections before the age of 30, but that was at a time when not much was known about them

They can tell I have one through various tests, and it's only fairly small at the moment, so nothing to really worry about at the moment, I just have to completely cut back exercise, can't lift heavy things, and just have to make sure I don't exert myself.

I'm due to see my cardiologist for a check up next month, but I guess I could just call and see if it's anything. I thought I would survey people and see if it's "normal" or not. I hate ringing and saying "oh my god, something weird is happening", and for them to say that it's completely normal

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I really didn't think an anuerism and palpatitions were necessarily caused by the same thing - and anuerism is (yikes) a weak spot in a blood vessel which could tear possibly (somewhat like John Ritter) but I get palpitations when I take Sudafed, diet pills, and stimulants like that. Some people need beta blockers when they get palpitations so I would head to the doctor - please?
I don't think they're related either... I am on beta blockers already, and I forgot to take it this morning (and last night actually - I'm hopeless at taking pills), and cycled into work this morning, so that could be why.

I'll give the cardiologist a call I guess... I just hope he doesn't charge me a fortune just to speak to him

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you've been diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm, and you're having palpitations or a racing heart at times, I'd go see the Doctor.

I have a racing heart and what seems like an erratic beat for short periods of time, but mine is due to a heart murmur - a valve that doesn't always close all the way. It requires no surgery or anything, but I do have to take antibiotics before I have any work on my teeth done. But with an aneurysm, it's a totally different story.

Be a good girl and call the Doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just called and the Coordinator of the Centre there said "yeah, I get that too".
She put me through to the nurse there though who will call me back tomorrow. She said they'll probably put me onto some sort of monitoring thing you wear for 24 hours to pick up what the heart is doing, and they can also hook me up to something else where I just press a button if I get a palpitation, and it records it.

So we'll see

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yay! I'm glad you called Sarah! That is something you don't wanna mess around with. Even though it's scary and nervracking, and you really wanna just put it off, cause dealing with it is just too much. But I'm glad you did! I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't too worried about it, just wondering if it was normal or not

Chest pains I stress about, weird fluttering is just strange...

Thanks everyone for the advice/kind thoughts!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got on line and saw your thread about heart condition. I'm glad you called the doctor. The 24hr monitoring sounds like a good idea. With an aneurysm, even a small one, I wouldn't fool around.

Like the previous poster, LDG, I have mitral valve problems and am used to erratic beats. Aneurysms are another problem altogether, though.

Keep us informed.