Reilly Update...

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say I'm a little concerned. She's not being as attentive to the babies as she was at first.
We have to take her in there with them every few hours. She's been too pre-occupied with wanting to hang out with us and has been wanting out. We won't let her of course.
Just now I heard them meowing and went in there. Reilly was just sitting on my bed..I picked her up and put her in with them. She laid down and she let them nurse.
I checked them and they seem to be gaining weight but it's worrying me if I should start to supplement nurse them with KMR. She nurses them when she's in there but it's like she has to be reminded to feed and clean them. Maybe because she's so young?

Any advice?

Ps... They are starting to purr and thier eyes are starting to open

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about kittens, but a thought I had, about her wanting to spend time with you instead...could you spend more time with her, in your bedroom? (im assuming thats where the kittens are), or maybe bring the kitten box out and put it in a quiet area of the living room? that way she doesn't feel like she's far away from you - she can hang out with you and tend to her kits at the same time

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Easy had her babies, she was only with them to nurse. The rest of the time, she was with me. Some Mother cats are just more attentive than others. As long as she is feeding them, they are gaining weight, and cleaning them, they will be fine.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get a scale and weigh the kittens..if they are still gaining weight within the normal range...then there really shouldn't be a need to supplement them with KMR.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

I would get a scale and weigh the kittens..if they are still gaining weight within the normal range...then there really shouldn't be a need to supplement them with KMR.

Katie
I'm going to get the scale today. What should they weigh now? They are One week and 2 days old

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I'm going to get the scale today. What should they weigh now? They are One week and 2 days old
Kitten Weight
At birth, weight should be approx 3-3.4 ounces.

At age 1 week weight should be approx. 4 ounces.

At age 2 weeks, weight should be approx. 7 ounces.

At age 3 weeks, weight should be approx. 10 ounces.

At age 4 weeks weight should be approx. 13 ounces.

At age 5 weeks, weight should be approximately 1 pound.

By the end of the 8th week, kittens should weigh approximately 2.2 pounds.

Of course, all these weights are approximate. You may have a kitten that is slightly under or over these weights and still be perfectly healthy. If ever you have a concern about your kitten, or he just doesn't seem 'right', consult a vet.

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/bottle_feeding_kitten.html

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is the same way. I have to put her in a crate with the babies sometimes because otherwise she won't feed them. some days she lays with them almost all day, other days she wants nothing to do with them. Cats are just weird creatures, that's all I can say!