TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › A Wonton Update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Wonton Update

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hey guys I finally got the results back from Wonton's bloodwork - he's absolutely in perfect health (aside from being a bit, er, chunky ), so the Vet has suggested we put him on Prozac and see how it goes. He said he's had good results putting cats on Prozac, although he said there have also been cases when it didn't seem to do anything. Its the actual Prozac that people take, which i found kind of funny. He's calling it into the Pharmacy today, and he said they'd call me tomorrow, so maybe we'll have it by the weekend. I have no idea how much it's going to cost-has anyone else ever had their cat on Prozac and could give me some idea? I mean money isn't the important thing, but I'm hoping it's not TOO too much. He's my baby though, I'll do whatever I have to do. Just wanted to let you all know what was going on, and thhank you for the vibes, and maybe ask for a few more, that the Prozac will help him. He's been being a good boy lately-but then, there haven't been any loud noises, ect. I'm sure if there were, he would be have the same (puffing up and trying to attack).

I had a dream last night that I was having trouble breathing...I thought-am I wearing a corset or something? Why is it so hard to breathe? I looked down (in the dream) and of course, then I was wearing a corset. Then I woke up, opened my eyes...and looked into large yellow ones - Wonton was laying down on my chest He must have been napping, but when I woke up, he did too, and he just sat there and gazed at me like "why hello, human. You make a good bed".
post #2 of 15
post #3 of 15
Thats great news that nothing was wrong I know you were concerned..... Hes probablly just very sensitive to fast movement and loud sounds ...mine are too .... but I keep HGTV on for them all day and on all night downstairs and its a major difference in the way they react to sounds versus when the tv is on and when its off ...... I havent had any experience with prozac so no advice there .... maybe you could try Bachs rescue rememdy .......... what a beautiful way to wake up
post #4 of 15
That is great to hear!!

By the way ask your doctor or pharmacy to provide you with a transdermal gel that is applied to fleshy part the inner ear that way no pilling is required!!!

Better and much less stressful for patient and Meowme.
post #5 of 15
That's good news about Wonton! How much does he weigh?
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell603 View Post
That is great to hear!!

By the way ask your doctor or pharmacy to provide you with a transdermal gel that is applied to fleshy part the inner ear that way no pilling is required!!!



Better and much less stressful for patient and Meowme.
Yep, the vet already talked about that, cos I told him it's going to be murder getting a pill down Wonton's throat ( and I might end UP murdered if I tried ). He also said there's drops I can drop in his mouth, but that still entails forcing his mouth open. I mentioned dropping it into his food but the vet said that wasn't adviseable, so I'll probably go for the gel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
That's good news about Wonton! How much does he weigh?
17 pounds
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadian girl View Post


17 pounds

OH MY GOSH!!!! Looks are deceiving in his sig
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
OH MY GOSH!!!! Looks are deceiving in his sig

Does this illustrate things better? It was taken last week

post #9 of 15
He looks like my Joey, he's only 15 lbs but he's catching up!!!
He really does not look that big to me I guess cuz my boys are big and I'm used to looking at them. He's a CUTIE PIE!!! I love Belly's!!!
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadian girl View Post
Yep, the vet already talked about that, cos I told him it's going to be murder getting a pill down Wonton's throat ( and I might end UP murdered if I tried ). He also said there's drops I can drop in his mouth, but that still entails forcing his mouth open. I mentioned dropping it into his food but the vet said that wasn't adviseable, so I'll probably go for the gel.



17 pounds
Is it not adviseable because he may not eat it all? I have discovered Pill Pockets which are treats you can wrap around the pill. Carly really likes them and takes her pills without a fuss. Now the others aren't interested in treats so I'm not as fortunate.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katachtig View Post
Is it not adviseable because he may not eat it all? I have discovered Pill Pockets which are treats you can wrap around the pill. Carly really likes them and takes her pills without a fuss. Now the others aren't interested in treats so I'm not as fortunate.
Yeah I think that's why... where do you buy your Pill Pockets?

Bella713 - Yeahh he loves to lie in that patch of sun.. He loves to show people his belly, too, with a sweet look in his eye. Then when you reach down to rub his belly, he latches onto you with his claws and BITES
post #12 of 15
Do you only have one cat?

My Scotty used to randomly attach himself to my arm (I even have scars). He used to be extremely aggressive but sweet other times. When I got Oscar, the random attacks stopped. It was AMAZING. Even my fiance realized that I was right (aren't I always??) and a second cat was a good idea.
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky View Post
Do you only have one cat?

My Scotty used to randomly attach himself to my arm (I even have scars). He used to be extremely aggressive but sweet other times. When I got Oscar, the random attacks stopped. It was AMAZING. Even my fiance realized that I was right (aren't I always??) and a second cat was a good idea.
Yep, just the one. The thing is, we used to have a friend's cat who came to visit, but it didn't last long because Wonton reacted badly to her, and tried to fight with her on several occasions. She was female, and fixed. I've always taken that to mean that he wouldn't be good with other cats, that he wouldn't want a cat friend because he's just so territorial. He even bit her in her sleep once - not hard though. She was sleeping, and he padded up to her, looking friendly, sniffed her a bit - for a sec I thought he was going to lay down next to her. But he sniffed her a bit more, and then just opened his mouth and took a bite! I grabbed him before a fight could start, but that was the last of letting them together. I'd tried, cos I know cats don't take to eachother over night, but he just didn't seem like he wanted another cat around... and I'd hate to adopt a cat and it doesn't work out, cos then what - return it to the shelter? I'd be heartbroken..and once a cat has been in my care, even temporarily, I feel responsible for it, so I wouldn't want to just bring it back to the shelter for someone else to adopt. I'd worry he wouldn't get adopted by a good cat meowmy.

The thing is, his attacks aren't really random..for the most part, they're reactions to loud sounds/sudden movements/large objects moving around. I have to put him in the other room when I'm getting ready to do laundry, because if I walk by him carrying a laundry basket full of clothes, he'll puff up and attack me. He just seems to get scared easily Hopefully the Prozac will help.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadian girl View Post
Yeah I think that's why... where do you buy your Pill Pockets?

Bella713 - Yeahh he loves to lie in that patch of sun.. He loves to show people his belly, too, with a sweet look in his eye. Then when you reach down to rub his belly, he latches onto you with his claws and BITES
I found them at PetSmart (though they hid them on some end-cap). You may want to get some and see if he will eat them before investing in pills that he won't take.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
oh I wasn't going to get the pills anyway - I'm getting either the gel or the drops, depending on what the pharmacist says today.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › A Wonton Update