An odd question.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My across the hall neighbor just gave me a big container of soap, and said that she was using it on her cats. It isn't pet shampoo, so I'm a little suspect that it will be good for the boys. Here are the ingredients:

Water
Potassium Cocoate (derived from Coconut)
Potassuim Tallate (derived from Pine)
Glycerine
Olive Oil
Peppermint Oil
Aloe Vera

Any ideas?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats for Dummies (that's me) says:

Human shampoo, even baby shampoo, is the wrong pH for your cat and can dry out his skin. Only use shampoo labeled safe for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I thought!!! I'm so glad I asked before I used it on the boys. I'll have to run and tell my neighbor!

Thanks so much!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shelleybik

peppermint...thats a def no no.
really? i looked on those links. couldn't find peppermint or spearmint or mint on the toxic plants list. did find peppermint oil on the essential oils list, but it's so strong i'm not surprised - it really burns when applied if not diluted properly.
i'm interested because Java is crazy for mint-scented items. i was considering making her a toy stuffed with mint leaves [dried] instead of catnip, but i don't want to do that if it's toxic...

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
is there a thread or link on other oils scents chemical things that are toxic to cats other the most cpommonly known plants and foods? My friend poisoned her dog by baking w a sugar substitute and the dog got the cake and was dead a day later. it was horrible.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

really? i looked on those links. couldn't find peppermint or spearmint or mint on the toxic plants list. did find peppermint oil on the essential oils list, but it's so strong i'm not surprised - it really burns when applied if not diluted properly.
i'm interested because Java is crazy for mint-scented items. i was considering making her a toy stuffed with mint leaves [dried] instead of catnip, but i don't want to do that if it's toxic...
it really just depends on the condition of your cats kidneys. some cats can deal with it and some can't.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't catnip a type of mint? I thought it was just the essential oils that were dangerous because they are so concentrated... also in some plants it is just a certain part of the plant that is toxic (bulbs, sap etc) and the parts they use commonly in soaps etc are ok.

I looked on all three bottles of pet shampoo we have here (all from the groomers) and all of them include aloe, and looking online it seems to be the norm

Purified water, natural cleansers, gentle conditioning agent, aloe vera, methyl paraben, propyl paraben, natural cherry essence

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Isn't catnip a type of mint? I thought it was just the essential oils that were dangerous because they are so concentrated... also in some plants it is just a certain part of the plant that is toxic (bulbs, sap etc) and the parts they use commonly in soaps etc are ok.

I looked on all three bottles of pet shampoo we have here (all from the groomers) and all of them include aloe, and looking online it seems to be the norm
i think aloe vera is something that has recently been found to be harmful to cats. the plant has always been on the toxic lists from what i can remember. but with all the aloe vera juice products that have come out recently people just assumed it was ok for cats when it's really not. the shampoo may not be harmful at first but because they lick themselves i could be over time to their kidneys.