Steve Irwin Memorial Tribute on TV

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did anyone see it last night on the Animal Channel?

Bindi talked, it was heart breaking. Terri looks so devastated.
My heart goes out to that poor family.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A coworker was telling me about it. He said there were a ton of people there. I still can't believe he is gone. I mean every time I turn on AP he is on doing something with the animals.

His poor family has a long tough road ahead of them. Atleast Bindi is at an age where she will be able to remember him. Her brother probably won't.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could have seen it. We only have limited cable, which is only about 10 channels.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw it. I cried all through it. I can't believe he's really gone. Poor Terri. She just sat and cried. I just wanted to hug her. She's going to have a long road ahead of her now that he's gone. I wish there was something I could do or say.
It's like a horrible reality check. Everyone lost a hero, and the animals lost a champion.
RIP Steve. You are missed already.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I wish I could have seen it. We only have limited cable, which is only about 10 channels.
I also missed it on TV but just found the whole memorial online. Click here: Steve Irwin Memorial Tribute

He was an amazing man with so much enthusiasm and dedication. If we miss him this much imagine how hard this is on his family.
RIP Steve Irwin - you will never be forgotten.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, thanks for the link!
I can't watch any online video at work but I will try at home.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to watch it again, but ended up having to turn it off. I was crying to much. I am so upset, I can only imagine how his family and friends feel.
Thank you for the link though, I'll try and watch it again later in the week.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have the animal planet but I did have my inlaws record if for me. But I wont get to pick the tape up till Friday

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought it was a wonderful memorial. I watched the whole thing. The only parts that really got me bawling was the very beginning (I guess just coming to terms with what I was watching was hard), when they loaded up his truck and drove it out, and Bindi's speech.

I'm not sure that Anthony Field from the Wiggles was the best "master of ceremonies" and it looked to me like he hadn't taken the time to learn his lines. Other than that it was great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See, now I thought he did a pretty good job and was pretty upbeat and I think that was needed.
I also cried during the whole thing.
His poor friend Wes.
It is astounding much much this has affected people.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I watched it, and yeah it made me cry..specially the packing up the truck bit. I do have a question - does anyone (perhaps someone here from australia) know the deal with that True Blue song? everyone in the audience seemed to know it. Is that a famous song in Australia? It was rather nice, i liked it.

RIP Stevo. We'll miss you <3

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
True Blue is a famous patriotic Australian song by John Williamson, a country/folk singer (that's about as patriotic as we get...). True Blue kind of means "very Australian". It's a term of endearment, means you're the real thing. It's the perfect song to be played at Steve Irwin's funeral - I believe John Williamson and Steve Irwin were friends, and Steve was the embodiment of a "true blue bloke". Definition rom a website: Steadfast loyal Australian who displays the Aussie ideals of a fair go for all, mateship, having a go, and solving problems.

I haven't seen any of the funeral, but it would have been very appropriate and moving to all of the Aussies in attendance.

Here's the lyrics:
Hey True Blue, don't say you've gone
Say you've knocked off for a smoko
And you'll be back later on
Hey True Blue, Hey True Blue

Give it to me straight
Face to face
Are you really disappearing,
Just another dying race,
Hey True Blue.

True Blue, is it me and you?
Is it Mum and Dad, is it a cockatoo?
Is it standing by your mate
When he's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue, I'm asking you...

Hey True Blue, can you bear the load?
Will you tie it up with wire,
Just to keep the show on the road?
Hey True Blue, Hey True Blue, now be Fair Dinkum

Is your heart still there?
If they sell us out like sponge cake
Do you really care?
Hey True Blue.

When she's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue, I'm asking you...

When he's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue ... True Blue.

And definitions to help along the way -

# \tSmoko
To 'knock off for a smoko' is to have a break for a coffee, tea or cigarette.

# \tFair Dinkum
Virtually the same as True Blue - honest, reliable, trustworthy, dinki-di; someone who has embraced the Aussie attitudes to everything, especially mateship. 'Are you fair dinkum?' means 'are you telling the truth?'

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks for that Sarah..i thought maybe it was Australia's national song or summat, from the way everyone was singing it.. I really liked it. And that was a nice story, too. Are you originally from Australia by chance?

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still crying from it he was such an amazing man and the look on Terri's face and the family pictures they showed at the end he will be so missed. And his little girl is so brave. I believe she will continue what he started and I believe she will see to it that his son knows who his dad was. And his friend Wes I am certain will do the same. Did you all see the part where Wes talked about how Steve saved his live from a croc attack. I think Terri had put on glasses because she cried so much because I have never seen her wear them before. I am so sorry for his family and I think one thing that really moved me was when his dad said to grieve for the animals that lost him he knew what the world was thinking. And I agree with them he changed the world. He made it a better place. And I am certain he is in heaven now and is looking out for his family, his friends, animals, zoo, and all the wildlife and rescue workers. I pray for his family that they find peace.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

. I pray for his family that they find peace.
Yeah me too.. I feel so bad for Terri and Bindi and Bob. Bindi is so adorable btw, such a brave little girl. Terri's great, I always enjoyed watching her on the Crocodile Hunter too, along with Steve. She just seemed so calm and centered and unflappable - I guess you'd have to be to be with someone like Steve Irwin
I saw an interview with them too, where Steve said that one of the things he loved about her was how she was so calm, and sort of helped to center him so he didn't go winging off the deep end. His enthusiasm was great though. You could tell he loved what he did, loved animals...and he made a HUGE difference in this world.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by arcadian girl

thanks for that Sarah..i thought maybe it was Australia's national song or summat, from the way everyone was singing it.. I really liked it. And that was a nice story, too. Are you originally from Australia by chance?
No probs, and yes I am Australian - I even did volunteer work at Australia Zoo nearly 10 years ago now and can attest to the fact that they are both wonderful people!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't see the memorial, not being one for much TV, but I did hear an article on the news on the radio this morning, which included a clip of Bindi -- my, what a together kid!! I was so impressed with her. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if she did carry on Steve's work before very long.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, this was so very touching. Bless his family. I keep thinking how he left this world doing exactly his mission that he set out to do. He was doing what he loved. Few of us can say we went for our dreams, lived out our passions, and accomplished what we set out to do, and this good man died doing just that. The impact he made, his work, and his passion will live on.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was very touching, I cried almost the whole show. He was such an inspireation in conservation and animal awareness. I miss his shows and his attitude was always amazing. He will be missed by so many people.