What kind of litter for kittens???

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just made a "litter box" for my 3 1/2 week old kittens yesterday. I got Feline Pine cat litter for them and I was wondering if that is a good kind to get for kittens? It's natural and is made in large chunks so they don't eat it. I got that kind also because my other cats have never seen/used it before and therefore they won't think it is litter and go poo in it.(I had that problem with the last litter. Mama even pooed on her baby once because it was checking out the litter box and mama was trying to us it, she missed the litter and it landed right smack on the kittens head. I washed it all off, but he still stunk for the next week.LOL!)

Anyways...any suggestions on how to get them to use it??? My last litter started using theirs on their own when they were 4 weeks old. They haven't started pooing on their own yet because I have an over-zealous "babysitter" cat who insists on contantly cleaning their rumps whether they need it or not. They don't even have a chance to digest their food and she's already licking them. LOL.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

I just made a "litter box" for my 3 1/2 week old kittens yesterday. I got Feline Pine cat litter for them and I was wondering if that is a good kind to get for kittens? It's natural and is made in large chunks so they don't eat it. I got that kind also because my other cats have never seen/used it before and therefore they won't think it is litter and go poo in it.(I had that problem with the last litter. Mama even pooed on her baby once because it was checking out the litter box and mama was trying to us it, she missed the litter and it landed right smack on the kittens head. I washed it all off, but he still stunk for the next week.LOL!)

Anyways...any suggestions on how to get them to use it??? My last litter started using theirs on their own when they were 4 weeks old. They haven't started pooing on their own yet because I have an over-zealous "babysitter" cat who insists on contantly cleaning their rumps whether they need it or not. They don't even have a chance to digest their food and she's already licking them. LOL.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I used feline pine with my kittens and mom...I used a xerox box for mom and the top for the kitten's litter boxes. However, if that isn't working for you....I've also read that clay litter is good to use with kittens and yesterday's news...which is made of recycled newspaper.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my kittens were confined in a large cage with mom and the litter pan. By the time they were old enough for exploring outside the cage, they knew what it was for and used it.

That's why it's best to confine kittens/mom/pan in one room instead of allowing them full run of the house. It makes it a lot tougher to train the kittens that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not really as worried about the kittens not using it right now as much as I am worried about the adult cats using it. I just don't want to have the same problem I had last time with the mama using the same box as the babies. Also, I can't confine them to a room. I have a dog crate, but it is too small to fit mama, babies, AND the litter box.(it WOULD fit, but would be much too crowded)
I don't give them run of the house, just the living room, which is about as big as a bedroom.(pretty small) They don't really even go far, for some reason they all gather at the little cardboard scratching box. They like to climb up on it and roll aroung. It's actually pretty funny to watch because it's a long, skinny box and they tend to roll right off the edge when they flip over.Heehee.

Anyways, I just want to know really if they are still going to use the "litterbox" I made for them even if they don't see mommy using it? Should I put their poo in it?

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used something like the Feline pine with Trouble when he was a babie... And he never used it, wouldnt touch it.. he would pick out peices to play with them.. Not to use the pan! I found he likes Sweatscoop. it is made with Wheat like product,and it is even flushable

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where can I get Sweatscoop from? I noticed my kittens like to play with the pieces too. They haven't used it yet. They are starting to pee everywhere else though. One even peed and pooed on my husband's shoe this morning(he was peeved!) I put the poo in the box and wiped the pee up with a paper towl and then buried that ubder the litter too. Do you think that will help any? I noticed the kittens sniffing it and checking it out.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright, will do. Sorry, I was out of town and didn't get to check this post for awhile.