Cats acting like parents?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just curious about something. If I adopted a kitten (say next year), do you think Emily and Chessy would act like its mom and dad (meaning grooming him/her, etc.)? Emily and Chessy get along fine, but they usually ignore each other. I'm wondering if they might bond over a kitten (not to mention that I am constantly wanting to add to our fur family).

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww I would say I think they would both form a relationship with the kitten that is parent-like. I am not sure if the two will like eachother anymore for it, though. lol I have a two kitty household, so I just know how my Trixter acted with Smeagol. Smeagol is 2 now, and Trixter still plays the daddy role. lol New babies are SO fun! Enjoy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! Even if they don't bond with each other, I would still have a new kitty to play with, so I figure it can't hurt.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It really depends on the cat. When I rescued 5 kittens, out of my 4 adults, Wawa (the male) declared himself their daddy. Even now he watches over them. My other 3 girls don't even care.
Well, except for teasing the little ones if they feel like it.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to depend on the cats involved.

We adopted a stray kitten two years ago (Lil' Jag) and Kuce took to her as if she was the mother to Lil' Jag and Luvbug is keeping a watchful protective eye on her. They still do watch over Lil' Jag to this day. And they are closer to each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greycat2

It seems to depend on the cats involved.

We adopted a stray kitten two years ago (Lil' Jag) and Kuce took to her as if she was the mother to Lil' Jag and Luvbug is keeping a watchful protective eye on her. They still do watch over Lil' Jag to this day. And they are closer to each other.
Aww, that's sweet