HELP flea problems

beesnees

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have really bad flea problems, i just cant get rid of them the only thing that work was the stuff from vets but its so expensive my cats are totally covered we move house but really dont want the fleas to come with us wud it be an idea to get the stuff from vets a few days b4 we move and what things can i do to keep the flea at bay thank u xx

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beesnees

i have really bad flea problems, i just cant get rid of them the only thing that work was the stuff from vets but its so expensive my cats are totally covered we move house but really dont want the fleas to come with us wud it be an idea to get the stuff from vets a few days b4 we move and what things can i do to keep the flea at bay thank u xx
Keeping your cats inside will help....I would also buy a flea comb and go through your cats fur removing all the fleas you can..then take a dish that has some dawn dishwashing detergent and put the fleas in the dish (it should kill them)..repeat several times. Throw out or wash all their bedding. Definately get the spot treatment from the vet...it kills fleas over time and is truly better than over the counter flea treatments.

Good Luck

Katie

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you move wash the cats with a flea shampoo from the vet. The killing of fleas will last a few days after the bath, so wash them Just before you move(day before) so you don't bring any hitch hikers. Then the flea spray from the vet should be sprayed lightly around the parameters of the room shere the wall meets the floor. That is where the fleas hang out and the vet stuff keeps on killing new fleas for several weeks. Then you must vacuum every seven days or sooner so that any newly hatched eggs get sucked up. put a mothball or some of the spray on a paper towell in the vacuum bag.

If you do this for a month you will no longer have fleas. To prevent reinfestation, keep your cats indoors.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definately bath your cats in dawn dish soap or a flea shampoo from the vet. Then get a dose of Capstar from the vet which kills all the fleas on the cat within a few hours and then apply Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. I would use a different one then what you have used before. It is good to switch around. Then buy some flea collars and cut them into little pieces (never put them on your cats!) and put them into the vacuum bag. Vacuum all the carpet in your house. I would do this right before you leave so the cats all get a fresh start. flea free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beesnees

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have some shampoo and have bathing my 2 youngest cats but my eldest is allergic to fleas so comes up in rashs and loses his fur so cant bath him, i have been using spot on but hasnt worked : ( goin to vets on friday will get some and do them b4 we move

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is the shampoo from the vet? I would tell the vet about the possibility of your one cat being pregnant, she may not be able to have flea meds. Which i hate to say is another reason I would suggest spaying her now despite the pregnancy. The fleas will never go away if you have a pregnant cat who cannot be treat who already has fleas.

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i 1st got frontline from the vets it cost me 30 pounds for all my cats then i found online its cheaper i think with p and p it came to 20 so what a saving..check it out

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just make sure it is the actual stuff and not some knockoff. there are sites that sell it for cheaper but it is not really what they say it is or a different dosage or something.